Eliminox additive - does it work as advertised?

dnhb replied on 06/08/2021 16:18

Posted on 06/08/2021 16:18

In a recent edition of the Club Magazine there was an offer of a 20% discount on Eliminox fuel additive for members. The advertisement said it "Reduces costs whilst protecting your engine". I haven't been able to find any independent reviews of this product online and wondered if any Club members (or our Technical Advisor, if we have one) had any experience with it.  My main interest is in its claim to reduce emissions as our Danbury Active Camper is based on a 2005 Renault Trafic diesel van so the emissions are greater than more modern engines.

LesB1 replied on 01/08/2022 13:19

Posted on 01/08/2022 13:19

ELIMINOX 

I bought this when it was offered at a discount, I bought the 500ml container and used exactly as instructed, unfortunately I can not say I found any improvement at all on a E220d, the only thing that did happen was a nox sensor failed , but was replaced by Mercedes as they were having a run on them.

DougS replied on 06/08/2022 19:42

Posted on 06/08/2022 19:42

I have used 2 additives recently both of which appear to have the same ingredients and, on our 100 000 mile Euro V engine appear to have really improved the engine smoothness and pick up (no hesitation)  It runs like new IMHO.

I never take the MPG claims seriously but there may be a slight improvement over the longer term.

They claim to turn supermarket diesel (lets not get into that one!) into Super diesel but  the cheapest, Archoil, dosed at 1ml per litre costs 2.4p/litre.

For us, it does make a noticeable difference and if it keeps the fuel system cleaner  lubricates the pump and has even slight effects on cleanliness of DPF/EGR etc as extra effects, then it is still worth it for the better running we seem to get 

I have looked up the ingredients and they do seem to have the right credentials.

Regardless, and this is just my opinion, we are continuing to use it (no connection with either)

Archoil AR6900-D Max Advanced Diesel Fuel Synthesis - 1 Litre dosage 1ml/l £24.

HYDRA MAXIMUS fuel injector cleaner, 1 Litre dosage 2ml/l  £27.45

Both on Amazon of course.

Cartledge replied on 14/08/2022 13:49

Posted on 14/08/2022 13:49

I use Adblue, because I am advised to do so by my vehicle manufacturer Toyota. If I don’t and the AB tank runs dry, I cannot drive. The engine will not start.  I have no reason to disbelieve the information that it reduces pollution. Like the diesel particulate filter, if it helps the environment I’m content, but on a 2.8 Toyota diesel it’s compulsory. It’s probably less polluting than a Prius anyway. 

JimE replied on 05/10/2022 09:37

Posted on 05/10/2022 09:37

I haven't tried Eliminox, but have used Redex diesel additive in the tank of my 2015 Dethleffs 2.3 for the past 2 years.  On long runs, it seems to improve consumption by about 2 mpg or so - costs £1 per fill up. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook