English Heritage/National Trust

Wherenext replied on 01/03/2020 20:28

Posted on 01/03/2020 20:28

I was asked the other day whether a non member of the N.T. (my MiL) was a member of EH when we were visiting Fountains Abbey. I replied that she wasn't and the lady said that was a pity as she would have been able to get in for free.

I didn't know that there was some cross affiliation between these two, or is there? Anybody throw any light on it. I tried to find out from EH website but as I'm not a member it won't let me in to find out.

brue replied on 22/04/2020 17:51

Posted on 22/04/2020 17:51

It probably is JVB. we've been NTS members for well over 30 years and now qualify for senior reduced membership much like the membership perks with the NT. We can't go into Stonehenge with our NTS cards but can use our EH cards. You win some and lose some.

forringham replied on 13/06/2020 11:34

Posted on 13/06/2020 11:34

As well as being a member of NT (and are pleased to be informed of membership entry to Stone Henge, thanks Tinwheeler) we are members of the HHa. The Historic House Association has more properties than NT and EH put together. The only draw back I can think of at present is the quirkiness of opening times. All of these groups, though, are good, and most enjoyable.

Takethedogalong replied on 13/06/2020 12:01

Posted on 13/06/2020 12:01

Sorry but no it doesn’t Forringham. EH has 400 properties, NT has 300 houses/buildings you can visit. Both have/own estates and areas of historic/natural significance. NT is the biggest land owner in UK.

HH is the largest collection of independently owned properties, all operating individual business/visitor models. Slightly different. 

All are worth being members though. But HH isn’t a charity, so doesn’t extend membership to cover recent closures. 🙂

MikeyA replied on 14/06/2020 13:31

Posted on 14/06/2020 13:31

All are worth being members though. But HH isn’t a charity, so doesn’t extend membership to cover recent closures. 🙂

I didn't realise the CCC was a charity!  innocent

eurortraveller replied on 14/06/2020 17:38

Posted on 14/06/2020 17:38

The price of car parks in Cornwall always comes as a nasty shock to visitors - especially those who normally spend the summer in France - but there are 69 National Trust car parks in Cornwall which are completely free to NT members.

There is on on-line NT map showing where they are but good navigation skills are needed to find some of them - they are usually in the quieter places and often good starting points for walks. You may find us at Respryn Bridge or Lansallos on days when Looe and Bude are heaving. 

English Heritage on the other hand seems to have a monopoly of all the ruined castles down here if castles are your thing.

MikeyA replied on 17/06/2020 09:29

Posted on 02/03/2020 09:17 by Takethedogalong

I will try WN. I don’t think there are many to be honest. Hardwick Hall is an anomaly. There are two Halls, the old and the new on the same Site.

Top tip from me.....don’t rush to join EH, but look at CADW, the Welsh properties section. You get a much better deal, it’s around half the price of EH, and you get a discount in the shops. You only get half price entry into EH and HS for first year, so timing joining with a Wales holiday is perfect. Second year everything is free entry. We are considering becoming life members of CADW, if we can still get into HS and EH. 

(I used to be a volunteer for EH, and did feel a bit of a traitor. But I also know that there are a few “vanity” and not particularly public supported projects that get allocated cash from EH.)

Posted on 17/06/2020 09:29

ttda, the current membership for a Senior Citizen Couple is £26.50, is this a joining offer and does it then double in year 2 to the, so called, Usual price of  £53?

Takethedogalong replied on 17/06/2020 12:22

Posted on 17/06/2020 12:22

Hello Mikey. Yes, that sounds the current deal. We have been Members of Cadw for around six years now, can’t recall what our first deal was, but very cheap.

So for a Senior couple at the moment, £26.50. On renewal next year £53. This gets you into all Cadw properties free, half price into EH and Historic Scotland for first year, and then free for all Cadw, EH and HS after that. Cadw do Snrs from 60 years old, EH it’s from 65 years old. You also get a percentage (possibly 10%🤔) off price of stuff in Cadw shops, I don’t think you get anything off in EH or HS shops.

Cadw is by far the best deal, especially if in first year you plan a Welsh holiday or two! Get through that first year, and all properties become free. It’s same with joining EH or HS, you have to pay half price in whatever you haven’t joined, for first year. 

Cadw automatically extended our membership by 3 months, to allow for C19 closures as well. Despite the fact that I worked for EH as a volunteer for 12 years, we have been very impressed with Cadw.

Hope this helps😁 There are dozens of brilliant places to see in Wales, some of the best castles in Britain, beautiful Welsh Abbeys that are seldom busy, Palaces down in Pembrokeshire. We did two touring holidays and got our membership fees back easily. 👍

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook