Fuel. Branded vs Supermarket ?

Old Tom Joad replied on 27/02/2014 15:48

Posted on 27/02/2014 15:48

Has anyone got any strong opinions on the merits or otherwise of using branded fuel, ie. Shell/Esso over supermarket fuel. Do you get more mpg using branded, is it better for your engine ? I tend to look for the cheapest option but is this a false economy ?

mickysf replied on 11/02/2019 18:12

Posted on 11/02/2019 16:58 by

Recently there was some well funded and extensive scientific research carried out to answer this question.  Annoyingly I can't now find a link but the conclusion were:

1. The base fuels are identical and come from the same places and processes.
  2. The performance provided was identical.
  3. The only difference was tiny amounts of additives in some branded fuels the presence of which, according to the trials, made no difference in any respect.  

Posted on 11/02/2019 18:12

3. At best considered by some to posses minor advantages which have yet to be scientifically substantiated but at worst considered by many as nothing but 'snake oil'!

replied on 11/02/2019 18:49

Posted on 11/02/2019 18:49

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

commeyras replied on 11/02/2019 19:38

Posted on 11/02/2019 19:38

Yawn.  Hasn't this subject been discussed to death alreadyyell.  For my twopeneth, I have been using supermarket fuel for years and years and years and years etc (must be over 300k miles); no complaints: no DPF or injector problems.  If the Esso offer is cheaper that Tesco then Esso it is.  But I do not care!!!

Our resident expert Jasper, agrees no difference.

pointthefingerman replied on 11/02/2019 20:38

Posted on 11/02/2019 20:38

I have run my vehicle on normal Diesel and VPower Diesel ( several tanks each) and also supermarket Diesel with no noticeable difference at all with fuel economy or performance so for me it is supermarket fuel. 

The biggest improvement was after having an engine re-map at the back end of last year. So far driving normally has given between 12 & 15% improvement in fuel economy around town. Be interesting to see what the difference is with the van on the back when we are away in March  

Oneputt replied on 11/02/2019 21:14

Posted on 11/02/2019 21:14

The biggest improvement was after having an engine re-map at the back end of last year. So far driving normally has given between 12 & 15% improvement in fuel economy around town. Be interesting to see what the difference is with the van on the back when we are away in March

I had my car remapped 2 years ago and fuel saving when towing is about 50 miles per tank of diesel

mickysf replied on 11/02/2019 21:50

Posted on 11/02/2019 21:50

What has remapping to do with branded fuels and additives? Now the manufactures map engines according to the climate where their vehicles are exported to. Maybe global warming will have more to do with 'it' than additives! wink

pointthefingerman replied on 12/02/2019 00:01

Posted on 11/02/2019 21:50 by mickysf

What has remapping to do with branded fuels and additives? Now the manufactures map engines according to the climate where their vehicles are exported to. Maybe global warming will have more to do with 'it' than additives! wink

Posted on 12/02/2019 00:01

Directly nothing - but the original post is about the benefits of either branded fuel Vs Supermarket fuels in terms of economy etc.  In my experience there was no benefit. However, if better fuel economy and better performance (no not just going faster before anyone asks!) then I have found that remapping has worked better in terms of performance  in the low end and mid-range along with improved fuel economy - exactly what I asked them to do.

In terms of mapping for the local climate, whilst there is an element of truth in that (global regions), it is more about manufacturers deliberately 'strangling' engines during mapping. Many vehicles are fitted with the same engines but come in variants with higher power and of course significantly higher prices  -this is achieved via mapping.

There is lots available to read on line regarding remapping and it is done regularly on all types of vehicle including commercial and agricultural

I did not have the remap until the Warranty expired

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook