How to thrive on a non 240v site!

Merve replied on 16/01/2017 17:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 17:56

Due to difficulties migrating the original thread, which was massively interesting and popular with members, I am starting another one until the original can be found and  migrated to the Forum.  I apologise to the original OP but I think this is far too important not to be available. Personally, I think, because of the massive moves in technology recently, this subject should have a section by itself. I don't suppose the CC would think about that? So, anything about Solar Panels, LED lighting, Inverters, Safefill even. Anything that assists the caravanners to go off grid in fact - and saves money!!

Rushallmanor replied on 09/01/2019 10:49

Posted on 17/12/2018 20:17 by Tirril

I'm having problems with a 2 year old 11kg Safefill cylinder valve. If disconnected (to refill) then reconnected no gas flows. The only way is to screw the regulator back on tight and then partly unscrew a turn or so then open the valve to let some gas escape. Once it does I can screw the assembly back tight and no gas escape but it flows as normal.It seems like the valve is sticking. Anybody else had this problem.

Posted on 09/01/2019 10:49

Should still be in warranty it's 10 year.

JVB66 replied on 18/03/2019 16:59

Posted on 03/02/2017 19:07 by Merve

Just the scribblings of a non EHUer - I wonder sometimes whether the Caravan Club, (AKA Big Business) getting hold of a piece of land that is in a particularly beautiful place, - and I have a place in mind as I write this, - is advantageous for the environment and to the caravanners that have been going to that area for years. I would argue not - particularly for the second item! The first thing they will do is get the diggers in and start mashing up the site so that they can get the maximum amount of pitches in the area they have bought, building toilet blocks, reception areas and play areas - all in an area that for years had been untouched by machinery, noise pollution or overly populated by caravans through the summer months (or even winter months). The site will eventually return to something resembling a green area but having been totally transformed from what it was. Non EHU caravanning just isn't on their agenda because they want to charge the big bucks for you to stay there. They can, of course, rest in the knowledge that there is no shortage of caravanners that want to stay on such a site and will pay handsomely to do so. Views cost right? And yet, non EHU caravanners are the real deal when it comes to looking after the environment in that they don't need trenches dug for cables to be laid so that they can use electricity from the grid. They don't need warm and lit wash facilities as they have everything on their vans already. Thgey don't need perfectly flat hard pitches,They are not attracted like so many moths to the bright, over crowded lights of the CC site. They prefer the quiet, uncluttered and tranquil beauty of a location for its natural beauty, dignity and peace, not for the fact that there is a shop or WIfi on site. When they leave the site, it is exactly as nature sculpted it and will still be like that when they return. Unfortunately, money seems to be the only thing that talks these days and so sites in AONB will continue to be snaffled by businesses like the CC. The only thing one can say about it is its better than having a housing estate built there. That may be so, but, even with the stewardship of the land, however careful, by an entity which is only concerned about what that land can produce on the bottom line of the yearly accounts, then surely, there is something far more precious that has been lost. Where before there was a completely natural site of grass, rocks, trees, fallen wood for the odd campfire etc, there is now numerous numbered pegs, signs by the score, lighting bollards, extra buildings, more tarmac and the 'taming' of the surroundings by man made intrusion, not to mention the blight of numerous white boxes where once there was hardly anything to disturb the eye.

I wonder how many caravanners would be caravanners if it were not for the 'extras' that these sites provide? On a non EHU site, a grass pitch (which I prefer) water and disposal is all we require for a holiday. Is the walk to the single tap on site to fill the aquaroll really to be seen as a chore or an opportunity to strike up a conversation with a fellow camper wanting water for his pitch? I rather think the second. Is the opportunity lost with fully serviced pitches? Have we not come almost full circle with the modern caravan where we want to go into the great outdoors but not if it means the slightest inconvenience like filling the aquaroll, if indeed, thats what it is? The modern caravan or Motorhome is indeed something of a technological miracle on wheels, so much so, I feel it has 'lost something' - something that was quintessentially 'caravan' - to visiting the great outdoors and brushing up against it. You against the elements as it were. Cosseted in our centrally heated vans, with our iPads, laptops, televisions and any number of modern appliances tends I feel, to miss the point of the Great Outdoors. I am of course not suggesting that we return to horse drawn vans and boiling water on an outside fire, no of course not, progress has been made and continues to be made and that is a good thing but perhaps our forbears had something we haven't got in our caravanning - the true spirit of our craft! I feel that since going non EHU, I have rediscovered a little of what was lost. That little challenge of getting it right or suffer. Not being reliant on anyone except for the 3 essentials on site, ie Pitch, water and waste. Whatever it is, it's something that grips me and keeps me coming back for more!! Tin hat on!!

Posted on 18/03/2019 16:59

No tin hat needed , just the realisation that in some far distant future when the equipment that is needed for what you desire, will be light enough when fitted to LAs that are far lighter than now on the market and all batt powered ,you might not be far wrong,  but until then you can but put it on your wish listcool

Merve replied on 02/04/2019 21:11

Posted on 02/04/2019 21:11

I have just attended a webinar held by Relion Batteries called ‘A deep dive into the advantages of Lithium batteries ‘ This was talking about the Lithium Ion Phosphate Battery  or LiFePO4. They will be holding more webinars over the next few months. All I can say is thank goodness I made the switch. The advantages over the standard Lead Acid Battery are amazing. Half the weight, safety in that they are totally dry so no spills of acid or any fumes given off, (and no fire risk) deep cycles in their thousands, if charged- discharge at 2-3% a month, the ability to be able to partially charge a Lithium without damage unlike the LA which need a full charge,   the amount of power available to the user far outstrips a LA battery,  10 times and more the life expectancy of LA batteries, making Lithium over a 10 yr period half the price and indeed less than that of a of a Lead Acid or AGM when maintenance costs and replacements are taken into account.  The Lithium Battery is truly a leap forward. Don’t look at the initial price difference- look at, and research,  the big picture and you will seriously think about getting one. They work out much cheaper in the end! 

cyberyacht replied on 03/04/2019 07:27

Posted on 03/04/2019 07:27

If my age wasn't against me, I could be convinced notwithstanding the substantial capital outlay. Those of us with medical issues also are unable to project that far ahead to make it viable.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 03/04/2019 08:08

Posted on 02/04/2019 21:11 by Merve

I have just attended a webinar held by Relion Batteries called ‘A deep dive into the advantages of Lithium batteries ‘ This was talking about the Lithium Ion Phosphate Battery  or LiFePO4. They will be holding more webinars over the next few months. All I can say is thank goodness I made the switch. The advantages over the standard Lead Acid Battery are amazing. Half the weight, safety in that they are totally dry so no spills of acid or any fumes given off, (and no fire risk) deep cycles in their thousands, if charged- discharge at 2-3% a month, the ability to be able to partially charge a Lithium without damage unlike the LA which need a full charge,   the amount of power available to the user far outstrips a LA battery,  10 times and more the life expectancy of LA batteries, making Lithium over a 10 yr period half the price and indeed less than that of a of a Lead Acid or AGM when maintenance costs and replacements are taken into account.  The Lithium Battery is truly a leap forward. Don’t look at the initial price difference- look at, and research,  the big picture and you will seriously think about getting one. They work out much cheaper in the end! 

Posted on 03/04/2019 08:08

+1 Merve👍🏻, in the future Batteries will(literally) become the new fossil fuel, it will sound the death knell of oil as a fuel.

Merve replied on 03/04/2019 14:05

Posted on 03/04/2019 14:05

I sympathise with you Cyber and understand where you are coming from. Age, is something we have no control over but at 66 I thought it a move worth making and so far🤞- I am happy- very happy with it. I could have easily posted in the ‘tips to save money’ thread but it would have seemed strange to be promoting an item of £1k to save money but it really is cheaper if you are of an age to take advantage of it- I can only hope that I see a few years yet. Lithium phosphate batteries or LiFePO4 are, at the present time, the future but as I have said before, battery technology is moving very quickly  and the chance of further discovery’s  being made is higher than it’s been for quite some time. With the advent of the EV, needs must! It remains though, that at present, the Lithium Phosphate battery is, without doubt, vastly superior in every way to its old forbear- the Lead Acid. 

Dick Dastardly replied on 03/04/2019 23:26

Posted on 03/04/2019 07:27 by cyberyacht

If my age wasn't against me, I could be convinced notwithstanding the substantial capital outlay. Those of us with medical issues also are unable to project that far ahead to make it viable.

Posted on 03/04/2019 23:26

I sympathise with you too Cyber and wish you well.  We do not know for whom the bell tolls and we could all find ourselves looking up at the underside of a bus  laughing

I too am looking into a lithium ion battery for when my lead acid battery gives up the ghost but note the exorbitant initial outlay.  I wonder if I could set up crowd funding to pay for it?  While I get further advice on that I have commissioned an architect to design a large extension to my money box.  But things are looking up - only this afternoon I received notification from Euromillions that I had won the princely sum of £3.  Sadly no zeros followed that digit but it was still a lovely surprise!

DD 

ocsid replied on 04/04/2019 07:02

Posted on 04/04/2019 07:02

"10 times and more the life expectancy of LA batteries, making Lithium over a 10 yr period half the price and indeed less than that of a of a Lead Acid or AGM when maintenance costs and replacements are taken into account."

Not knocking LiFePO4 technology but how can this claim be possibly justified?

I suggest most users will get 5 years from a £120 lead acid leisure battery. Therefore, in ten years have a capital cost of £240. I am not seeing an addition maintenance cost over that of LiFePO4 other than a £1 bottle of deionised water if not buying into VRLA sealed technology.

So, the LA user in 10 years has a cost of £240, where is that  LiFePO4 battery for half that cost?

I accept if into running a microwave that will hugely abuse any realistically sized LA batteries, thus getting a few months life from them, the arguments change, but not for the typical user.

Merve replied on 04/04/2019 20:46

Posted on 04/04/2019 20:46

Hi Ocsid. Yes, I absolutely agree that the ‘normal user’ should get 5 years from a £120 Battery- I’d  be miffed if I didn’t! But he’ll never do anything exceptional with it. He’ll take minute amounts of power from it to power his lights and pumps and probably his television and all the time have a 240v cable stuck in the side of the van. 

However, let’s not compare apples with oranges. I know by experience that using a lead acid battery in the same way as I use my Lithium would damage that LA Battery in short order. I’ve done it. When they are new they are fine but they very quickly start to lose power. On a lead acid battery - even the best have about 300 deep cycles and each cycle will reduce the capacity of that battery. With the lithium those deep cycles are in their thousands and with no damage or at least no damage of any significance. 

So, try using a lead acid in the same way as I use my lithium and very quickly, you will find that you are beginning to notice a reduction of power in the lead acid. To continue to get what I get out of my lithium time after time, you will need to go and spend another £240 on two batteries because don’t forget, you will need 2 LA batteries to acquire the same power  because they are flat at 50% whereas the lithium (100ah) will go on right up to about 5% SoC without damage and can be quickly recharged and off we go again. They are amazing and they are the obvious choice for someone like me who has chosen to be offgrid. They are the natural choice. Now to deal with the cost comparisons. 

Lithium they say, have a useful lifespan of 20- 25 yrs. the capacity is not degraded quickly like the LA. It keeps its capacity and even after 4 or 5 years, they are still at 99% capacity! Try that with LA that has been used in the same way! How many LA batteries are you going to have to buy in 20yrs to continue being offgrid efficiently and keeping up with the Lithium? £240 x 6? 7? 8? 

That is where the 1/2 cost comes in and that’s not counting the small fortune  saved by being able to use non EHU sites. Take us for an example. We are away about 60 nights a year. Instead of £15 I normally pay £5 or £6 but if it’s  an exceptional site it might be £8!  (but if it had EHU it would be £18) so I reckon that a saving of £10 a night is about right but let’s say £8 just to be conservative. £60 x 8 is £480. Now you will know that some of us are away many more nights than 60 so the savings increase. Even 60 nights has recouped almost 1/2 of my battery cost in ONE year has it not? So not only is my battery  being paid for by site fee savings, I am also able to enjoy what the EHU supplies. But at a massively reduced cost. The famous saying is- “It’s like wild camping with hook up”

Your last paragraph says it all and thank you for that.  You can’t compare apples with oranges or LAs with Lithium. Just as a footnote, I remember talking about lithiums few years ago and the overwhelming opinion at that time was that they were dangerous due to them having a safety issue regarding bursting into flames, The LiFePO4 battery or the Lithium Ion Phosphate Battery is not the same beast and is totally safe. It does not suffer with thermal run away. It’s the battery off gridders have been waiting for! 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook