Insurance

viatorem replied on 05/08/2019 17:37

Posted on 05/08/2019 17:37

Just done the annual insurance trawl for car , van etc  saved £200 on a combination of house and car insurance plus £100 on van and £70 on breakdown (1 house, 2 cars 1 van) so that's a few hours well spent. Luckily I've time to do it!

What I learnt.

Do the web trawl painful as it is, then phone to get the best tailored deal. I found some companies were very helpful others less so.

None of my deals were from comparison websites.

If you've 2 or more cars don't go for the insurance companies optional legal policy at £20-25 per car. You can get similar cover for 2 cars for £20 under separate cover. More cars bigger saving.

If you don't need European cover you can save by going to a company that lets you opt out when not needed and in with no policy admin charge.

Savings can be made if you add breakdown cover to your caravan policy rather than car. 2 cars comprehensive RAC uk cover under £100 plus the caravan is also covered for breakdown.

I also got interest free monthly payment on van and breakdown insurance.

replied on 05/08/2019 18:25

Posted on 05/08/2019 18:25

Savings can be made if you add breakdown cover to your caravan policy rather than car. 2 cars comprehensive RAC uk cover under £100 plus the caravan is also covered for breakdown.

Does that include homestart? It costs us £130 for Homestart on our two cars, and caravan and cover in any car that we are travelling in plus the take you back to site and later home when we are touring. 

viatorem replied on 05/08/2019 19:18

Posted on 05/08/2019 18:25 by

Does that include homestart? It costs us £130 for Homestart on our two cars, and caravan and cover in any car that we are travelling in plus the take you back to site and later home when we are touring. 

Posted on 05/08/2019 19:18

These were the levels of cover, I went for comprehensive on both cars and dropped personal cover as I don't drive others cars. £98 pa , actually it's 2 ,cars and  2 caravans

Essential – Roadside repair, or recovery to the nearest garage plus reimbursement of taxi costs to take you and your passengers up to 20 miles*

Home Call – Repair at home or roadside, or recovery to the nearest garage plus reimbursement of taxi costs to take you and your passengers up to 20 miles

National Recovery – Roadside repair, or recovery to your home or a garage anywhere in the UK*

Comprehensive – Repair at home or roadside, or recovery of your car, you and your passengers to your home or a garage anywhere in the UK, hire car or overnight accommodation

Premier – All the above, plus cover for roadside repair and recovery in 55 countries and territories in Europe, and transport to your holiday departure point if you break down en route and we are unable to fix your car. Plus, if your car breaks down within 24 hours of your planned departure date in the UK, we'll arrange a hire car for up to 14 days so you can proceed with your trip.

Waffler replied on 08/08/2019 21:35

Posted on 08/08/2019 21:35

Well done. I do the same each time any renewal comes in. One word about breakdown is to ensure you have cover for the caravan. So if the wheel falls off will they come out. Also what happens if you break down away fro the caravan site. Both clubs offer that cover but again haggle. We are with the other club and on renewal asked about a reduction and £20 came off. I still hesitated and so a £50 John Lewis voucher was offered. Deal done. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook