Spray N Seal clear seal

Rufs replied on 21/01/2021 14:31

Posted on 21/01/2021 14:31

Has anybody used a product called Spray N Seal which is a clear sealant to prevent water ingress etc, was looking to use it on the caravan around a few joints that are starting to look in need of attention. Very little damp as yet, but thought this might be a good preventative measure

Rufs replied on 22/01/2021 09:00

Posted on 22/01/2021 07:03 by peedee

Never used it but I thought products like this only sealed hair line openings?

peedee

Posted on 22/01/2021 09:00

True and i can see a few of these in the existing sealant especially around the front grab handles, might just give it a shot in a not so visible area and see what happens laughing

KeithL replied on 25/01/2021 10:46

Posted on 25/01/2021 10:46

Tried something similar many years ago and it was absolutely useless. Ended up re-sealing the awning rails and grab handles myself using Sikaflex. Very messy job but easy enough with a good pair of ladders and lots of white spirit to clean the old stuff off

Rufs replied on 25/01/2021 15:13

Posted on 25/01/2021 15:13

Thanks Keith, too cold to try just now, i did try a wee squirt on the gutter on the conservatory, and the results did not look too bad. I dont think i am at the point where the whole lot needs re-sealing as the damp levels are less than 25 pct in all areas. Will wait until the weather warms up and see what happens.  

geoffeales replied on 25/01/2021 15:54

Posted on 25/01/2021 15:54

I use Captain Tolley's. It's not a spray but a white liquid rubber that goes deep into cracks and crevasses then solidifies. It's dead easy and precise to apply so no wastage, It's made for boats really but it seems to work as several damp areas detected last year have been sorted. 

KeithL replied on 26/01/2021 11:17

Posted on 25/01/2021 15:13 by Rufs

Thanks Keith, too cold to try just now, i did try a wee squirt on the gutter on the conservatory, and the results did not look too bad. I dont think i am at the point where the whole lot needs re-sealing as the damp levels are less than 25 pct in all areas. Will wait until the weather warms up and see what happens.  

Posted on 26/01/2021 11:17

Being too cold tends to be the problem, old sealants go hard and contraction in the cold weather opens up the joints. Looks better in the heat as the expansion tends to close the gaps up again. In my case I found that trying to infill various cracks in the sealant was more hassle than doing the lot and of course doing the whole lot meant no future problems with sealants going hard for several years.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook