The "other" club

dave the rave replied on 14/01/2019 13:10

Posted on 14/01/2019 13:10

Just got my renewal for the other club.much cheaper than this club and a discount on their more reasonable site fees for being old!makes sense!

Cornersteady replied on 15/01/2019 11:34

Posted on 15/01/2019 10:04 by dave the rave

more a way of pointing out how to save money when caravanningwink

Posted on 15/01/2019 11:34

I think most of us have really grasped the idea that if you don't buy something you save money, especially if you don't want it in the first place, but thanks anywaysmile

Surfer replied on 15/01/2019 12:02

Posted on 14/01/2019 15:30 by Tinwheeler

It’s the "Friendly Club".

In 46 years of membership I’ve not had occasion to disagree with that.

Their forum's rubbish though, even judging by CT standards, but my biggest gripe is the minimum night booking restriction at certain times.

Posted on 15/01/2019 12:02

Never thought it as the Friendly Club going by the attitude of some of their wardens!  We left the C&CC twice because of wardens.  Never ever had an issue with a CC warden so not us at fault.

We used their "flagship" Malvern site in 2012 and found that part of the road way system was in a very poor state of repair. Annoyingly we could not select out own pitch and had to go where the warden instructed us to pitch.

The last time we joined was to use some sites in Scotland only to find that there was a minimum stay of 2 nights on many sites which is a big drawback if you want to use the site for an over night stop on the way north.  To be fair we did get a full refund of the membership fee as it was not mentioned in the T&Cs at the time.

CC has some big faults but at the moment seems to be okay for our requirements even though we hardly ever use a CC site.

dmiller555 replied on 15/01/2019 13:22

Posted on 15/01/2019 13:22

We now rarely use this club's sites as we find then too expensive but do retain our membership for the CL sites and the Mayday recovery.

By way of balance, we only stayed on two C&CC sites last year, again preferring their CS sites. 

Given the general expense of caravan touring the additional membership fee of the second club isn't a major consideration. 

DavidKlyne replied on 15/01/2019 16:33

Posted on 15/01/2019 16:33

We belong to both clubs to give us the greatest choice of sites. Probably on balance we use more CMC sites but the C&CC have some sites that are good if you are a motorhomer. The C&CC have a different approach on arrival but that has its advantages in that you get the local knowledge of which way to point the satellite dish, which way the sun rises, where all the facilities are. OK you can establish all this yourself but it does save a bit of time. As to cost I think that if I had to worry about paying two subscriptions I would seriously questioning whether I could afford the hobby in the first place. When I look at what I spend every year site fees paid come in below the cost of servicing/insurance/fuel!

David

Cornersteady replied on 15/01/2019 17:33

Posted on 15/01/2019 17:33

does the other have the range of offers with various shops/brands/car dealers... that the club has? So far my almost 20 years of membership has cost me about £3 (details on request)

replied on 15/01/2019 17:57

Posted on 15/01/2019 16:33 by DavidKlyne

We belong to both clubs to give us the greatest choice of sites. Probably on balance we use more CMC sites but the C&CC have some sites that are good if you are a motorhomer. The C&CC have a different approach on arrival but that has its advantages in that you get the local knowledge of which way to point the satellite dish, which way the sun rises, where all the facilities are. OK you can establish all this yourself but it does save a bit of time. As to cost I think that if I had to worry about paying two subscriptions I would seriously questioning whether I could afford the hobby in the first place. When I look at what I spend every year site fees paid come in below the cost of servicing/insurance/fuel!

David

Posted on 15/01/2019 17:57

The C&CC have a different approach on arrival but that has its advantages in that you get the local knowledge of which way to point the satellite dish, which way the sun rises, where all the facilities are.

For me it was a total disadvantage. We used 6 sites and 4 of them had no idea where north and south was with regard to preferred pitching. on 3 of them I waited by the car in 30c+ temperatures for between 15 and 25 minutes whilst others were sited following the bike or walker. 

Then followed a few mins of telling me where things were when an A4 site plan would have been more useful. We either followed some chap walking at 3 miles am hour or had somebody on a cycle disappearing off as I stuck to my 4mph on site tickover mode. The pitches were a bit on the tight side on some sites, the facilities were below CC standards, the 1pm arrival was a pita. Apart from that sites were Okay(ish).

PATMAU replied on 15/01/2019 18:10

Posted on 14/01/2019 15:30 by Tinwheeler

It’s the "Friendly Club".

In 46 years of membership I’ve not had occasion to disagree with that.

Their forum's rubbish though, even judging by CT standards, but my biggest gripe is the minimum night booking restriction at certain times.

Posted on 15/01/2019 18:10

I have the same gripe on C&CC minimum night booking restrictions too, Tinwheeler.  I have been a member of the C&CC for 42 years, half that length of time with CAMC.  I benefit from the OAP rate and discounted site fees.  I belong to their section the British Caravanners Club and most of the summer we rally with them or at THS's.  Why do I belong to the CAMC, well, their network of CL's is better (CS's the C&CC equivalent is 5 units plus tents, unless it is a Hideaway).  If I want an overnight stop enroute to a destination, I can easily book a CAMC site for a one nighter with no deposit.  Not that I object to paying a deposit for a longer stay on a site, but not for a 1 nighter.  Both clubs have their merits, and whilst I am still caravanning, I shall belong to both. 

Also agree the forum is rubbish, may be because they use your proper name and not a pseudonym so comments are more subdued than some CAMC subjects. LOL

DSB replied on 15/01/2019 18:14

Posted on 15/01/2019 12:02 by Surfer

Never thought it as the Friendly Club going by the attitude of some of their wardens!  We left the C&CC twice because of wardens.  Never ever had an issue with a CC warden so not us at fault.

We used their "flagship" Malvern site in 2012 and found that part of the road way system was in a very poor state of repair. Annoyingly we could not select out own pitch and had to go where the warden instructed us to pitch.

The last time we joined was to use some sites in Scotland only to find that there was a minimum stay of 2 nights on many sites which is a big drawback if you want to use the site for an over night stop on the way north.  To be fair we did get a full refund of the membership fee as it was not mentioned in the T&Cs at the time.

CC has some big faults but at the moment seems to be okay for our requirements even though we hardly ever use a CC site.

Posted on 15/01/2019 18:14

I guess each Club have their advantages and disadvantages, so we remain members of both.  We used the C&CC site at Malvern last May as we were going with two families who were also in tents, and found it fine.  I dont know if its just my imagination, but I always find the C&CC hardstandings a bit on the small side and end up parking my car on the grass.  Perhaps it's just the sites I have visited.

David

Wanderbirds replied on 17/01/2019 12:35

Posted on 15/01/2019 18:14 by DSB

I guess each Club have their advantages and disadvantages, so we remain members of both.  We used the C&CC site at Malvern last May as we were going with two families who were also in tents, and found it fine.  I dont know if its just my imagination, but I always find the C&CC hardstandings a bit on the small side and end up parking my car on the grass.  Perhaps it's just the sites I have visited.

David

Posted on 17/01/2019 12:35

I think you may be right about the hard standing sizes David. I have a vague recollection that the C&CC took the decision not to hardcore the whole pitch for a number of reasons. These included some of the following:- still usable by tents; more environmentally friendly; helps to ameliorate flash flooding etc. We find the C&CC “greener” than the CMC dating back to the time when David Bellamy was President. We have been members of both for far longer than you get for murder. In the case of the C&CC we not only get “wrinkly discount” but also the “bloody-minded persistence” discount for continuous membership since Noah gave up sailing and took up camping.

Carl

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook