Why: The area looked interesting and the site seemed to have good facilities and good reviews.
Location: On the Northern outskirts of the town of Guardamar del Segura. The town is not too commercialised. There are one or two shops selling tourist souvenirs and a big weekly market but is basically a Spanish seaside town with quite a few apartments which seem to be occupied by the British during the winter.
Check in – We tried to book online but could not get the period we wanted so I telephoned. It turned out that the two-week period we wanted to stay straddled 2 Spanish public holidays and a lot of Spanish had booked pitches. With a little bit of compromise, we eventually booked in for 12 nights. When we did arrive, we were offered a choice of pitches. When we were there a lot of Brits were digging in for the Winter. There as a good mix of nationalities including Dutch, German and Scandinavians.
Pitches – are of varying sizes but on the whole quite large for Spain. We easily accommodated our 7.5m caravan, awning and car. The surface is compacted clay and many people had aid down the mesh groundsheets. Most pitches have shade provided mostly by conifers. All pitches have electricity, water, grey water drainage point and a TV connection. We were able to watch BBC1, BBC2, ITV1 and ITV2.
There are a lot of bungalows on site but they are modern and very well maintained.
• Three shower blocks, although slightly dated they were clean.
• Very nice pool area with lots of loungers and various children’s features inc small slides and tipping buckets.
• Bar and restaurant. We did not use the restaurant but did have one meal in the bar which was not great. My Pizza looked and tasted like a cheap frozen pizza and my wife’s barbecued ribs were so tough she gave up and just ate the chips. The wine was very good and very cheap.
• There is a shop on site selling a good range of items at reasonable prices.
• Multigym with a good range of dated kit including running machines and cycles.
• The site is not on the beach but you can walk or drive across the dunes – beware it is a very bumpy road. There are no facilities on the beach but it is very pretty. We drove to the beach in Guardamar itself which we thought was excellent. In addition to beach chairs for hire there was also a range of restaurants and cafes nearby.
• Very well run and maintained site.
• Huge weekly market, bars and restaurants in Guardamar.
• Large Mercadona and Asian Bazaar nearby. Although not far away I would not recommend walking to them along the busy road with no footpath.
• To be sure of a pitch you need to book ahead.
• Some traffic noise from the N332 which is busy day and night.
Would we use again – yes. Nice laid-back site near Guardamar and its lovely beach. Though we would book ahead next time.
Reviewed on 22/11/2017 14:40