A quiet and unassuming region, Limousin has managed to retain a traditional and authentic feel of 'Old World' France. The landscapes here are stunning, ranging from mountains and waterfalls to lush pastures and forests.
You're likely to come across ancient villages which stage many festivals and village fairs. Here you'll see traditional crafts such as weaving and tapestry and be able to sample the local cuisine.
In Auvergne, time seems to move at a slower pace in this region of hills, mountains and valleys. One of France’s most ancient provinces, it is also home to the largest volcanic area in Europe. A stunning sight with more than 80 volcanoes, lying dormant but not extinct, it provides hot springs for the many spas that can be visited and provides remarkable geological features.
Limousin and Auvergne is an ideal for hikers and nature lovers. Get away from the crowds and see the great outdoors. With great cuisine, hospitality and an unspoilt feel, this area is a must-visit for anyone who wants to sample 'real France'.
Major towns and cities
- Clermont Ferrand – famous for the chain of extinct volcanoes that ring the city
- Vichy – known for being a spa and resort town
- Gueret – small market town that has grown little in the last century
- Le Puy or Tulle – famous for lace-making
- Monts du Cantal – a cluster of former volcanoes
- Medieval Ducal Fortress – built on a platform formed by volcanic rock
- Oradour-sur-Glane old town – a very moving place to visit, reminding us of WWII
- Parc Zoologique du Reynou – great also for picnics
How do I book an overseas site?
Overseas site bookings can be made online or by phoning 01342 488 102. Discounts are common when you combine a site booking with your ferry.
Does the Club take deposits for overseas bookings?
You can choose to pay a £75 deposit on campsite bookings, if your departure date is over eight weeks away. The outstanding balance must be cleared eight weeks before travel.
Is the standard of overseas sites similar to that of the UK?
European sites are star-rated by local authorities and will have different standards and regulations to the UK. The Club's site inspectors ensure they are of a high standard for our members.
This is my first visit abroad with my caravan/motorhome. How can the Club help?
The Club's first time abroad section explains everything you need to know about going on your first overseas touring holiday.