Caravan Insurance recommendation

eribaMotters replied on 24/04/2023 12:12

Posted on 24/04/2023 12:12

Oneputt,

I posted this on this forum and another regarding my Eriba. A replacement of the 2017 van is about £22/23K with bits:-

When on GoCompare two quotes came up at £137.90, Performance Direct along with Grove and Dean. They are both the same company and I discounted them as I did not recognise the name. I've just clicked on them and read up. they are underwritten by Aviva, include Legal Protection and European Cover.

A  day later:-

I have spoken to Grove & Dean this morning and enquired about upgrading to a New for Old policy, expecting a big hike and further protective measures.
They came back with £165.90. I asked if this was based on the £29K I had worked out on the Eriba site and he said no, it does not matter, you would get a new version of your van no matter what the cost. [It would actually be £32/33K] The C&MC want £850 for that cover.
I also got clarification on Personal effect basically means clothes and exempts electrical devices [£1000].
Equipment would be the stuff attached and in the van you need such as mover, chairs, crockery, bedding etc.[£2000]
The awning is a separate item [£500]
I've chosen the figures in brackets.
The only thing not covered is repatriation from abroad, but this does not worry me as I take out Red Pennant.

Colin

Wherenext replied on 24/04/2023 17:15

Posted on 24/04/2023 10:20 by Oneputt

Had my caravan cover renewal from the club.  The new quote was £550 without new for old which undoubtedly would have loaded the premium.  I have searched for other quotes and come up with one company which will insure new for old and European travel for under £400.  The policy is through a Broker and the underwriter is CETA.  The reviews I’ve read are quite mixed, anyone have personal experience?

Posted on 24/04/2023 17:15

Our policy was renewed whilst I was in hospital last year but in all honesty I wouldn't have looked elsewhere. Ours with Saga on N/Old basis for £300, including European cover which also includes repatriation.

Having had a claim settled by them in amicable way and not having any penalty imposed for said claim, substantial, I was happy to renew.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook