Towing mirrors

Cloudy47 replied on 17/10/2018 14:16

Posted on 17/10/2018 14:16

This year I have been amazed at the number of caravans being towed without any mirrors.

My wife and I have counted over 80 on our travels around the UK. During a five week a tour of Northern Spain and France we only saw two! These were two British units arriving at a site in St Jean de Luz. When I pointed out the illegality, they laughed and said they didn't need them, then joked the next morning saying they had order a pair with their bread! I wonder if owners realise a fine of up to £1000 can be imposed and in the event of an accident insurance could be void?

I have checked with the french police and the same rules apply,on spot fines and impounding of vehicle are possible, the same applies in Germany.

Perhaps the club car/caravan insurance should warn in large print that to tow with no mirrors is illegal.

Cornersteady replied on 17/10/2018 18:33

Posted on 17/10/2018 18:33

there are some caravaners that appear to do daft things, not having mirrors is one but speeding is another. You can't police them all and /or force them to comply. All you can do is make sure you yourself are safe. 

Milothedog replied on 17/10/2018 19:01

Posted on 17/10/2018 19:01

Personally I can't understand how you can tow without extended mirrors unless you have a very wide tow car or narrow caravan. I tow with a freelander 2 and have an Elddis Avante, TBH without the extended mirrors you can see bugger all behind you on dual carriage ways and motorways with the cars mirrors. Some people I suppose are just an accident waiting to happen?  

Cloudy47 replied on 18/10/2018 11:04

Posted on 18/10/2018 11:04

perhaps I've touched a raw nerve with some judging by their replies, but having been forced onto the hard shoulder on the M4 recently by one such caravaner, I think I am justified in expressing my concerns!

Navigateur replied on 18/10/2018 12:35

Posted on 18/10/2018 12:35

Any mirror, extended or not, are only of use to those who look into them.

Millenco have done extended arms for a while, though as I already use them to the full extent I would want even longer ones should I come into enough money to buy a wide caravan.

richardandros replied on 18/10/2018 12:48

Posted on 18/10/2018 11:04 by Cloudy47

perhaps I've touched a raw nerve with some judging by their replies, but having been forced onto the hard shoulder on the M4 recently by one such caravaner, I think I am justified in expressing my concerns!

Posted on 18/10/2018 12:48

I don't see why you should have - people who tow without a clear view behind them are just plain stupid - and irresponsible. As Milo said - and you have experienced - they are an accident waiting to happen which will undoubtedly involve an innocent fellow traveller.

Cornersteady replied on 19/10/2018 07:59

Posted on 18/10/2018 12:48 by richardandros

I don't see why you should have - people who tow without a clear view behind them are just plain stupid - and irresponsible. As Milo said - and you have experienced - they are an accident waiting to happen which will undoubtedly involve an innocent fellow traveller.

Posted on 19/10/2018 07:59

yes agree, also those who speed, use mobiles while driving, or appear to think that red lights are just advisory.  If the consequences just affect them that would be fine by often sadly they don't. All you can do is be safe yourself and look out for these idiots as best you can.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook