Service and repairs

It’s not a legal requirement to have your caravan or motorhome serviced but it is a legal requirement that it's roadworthy. We recommend you use a workshop that’s part of our Approved Workshop Scheme.

Our long-standing Approved Workshop Scheme was formed to help caravan and motorhome owners find reliable local workshops with competent staff.

Using an Approved Workshop gives you confidence that the technician working on your vehicle is qualified to the required standards. To be part of the scheme, workshops must pass an independent annual inspection and comply with the scheme's rigorous standards.

The scheme currently has over 460 fixed base and mobile member workshops around the UK - to find one near you, visit the Approved Workshop Scheme website.

Benefits of using an Approved Workshop

Along with the requirements for technicians, each workshop must also meet high standards of competency and comply with an industry wide Code of Practice. This means that all workshops will:

  • Display a detailed list of prices and labour rates
  • Provide an estimate for additional servicing or repairs over £150
  • Give a realistic estimated time for completion and collection
  • Use genuine spare parts where available
  • Make sure work is done using skill, care and professional judgement
  • Always provide you with a checklist of work done
  • Not start work without your express authority
  • Contact you for authority to proceed if additional work is needed
  • Notify you in writing of unrectified faults
  • Provide you with an honest assessment of the urgency of further repairs
  • Normally guarantee all repairs for six months
  • Take all reasonable steps to protect any unexpired warranties

Information - Claiming on your insurance?

If you need a repair to your vehicle and are claiming this through your insurer or cover provider, please check that you have agreement with your provider to proceed with the repair before authorising work to start, otherwise you run the risk of your repair costs not being covered. As a Caravan Cover provider - an alternative to insurance - find out what's covered should you ever need it.

Top questions

Where can I find tyre care information?

Tyre care information for towcars will normally be found in the vehicle handbook with inflation pressure advice usually on a label on the vehicle. This may include revised pressures to use when towing.

Caravan tyre information is usually in the handbook with inflation pressure advice sometimes on a label on the caravan. Motorhome tyre information will be in the base vehicle handbook with inflation pressure advice sometimes on a label on the vehicle, but this may be overridden by revised advice in the conversion handbook or on a replacement label applied by the convertor. 

Additionally, the Sites Directory & Handbook contains technical advice and on-the-road tips

How do I charge or change my battery?

Battery advice for caravans and motorhomes is available on our website.

See more