Smart Metering Trial

KieranBSMM replied on 05/04/2023 16:17

Posted on 05/04/2023 16:17

Exciting News! At Wyatts Covert Club Campsite we’re trialling Smart Metering, which means you will only pay for the amount of electricity you use during your stay.

The price quoted for bookings at this campsite excludes electricity (with campsite fees reduced accordingly) and we will only charge you for the precise amount of electricity you use during your stay.

This is something many members have been asking for and we’re really pleased to be able to trial it this year! Find out more at https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/smartmetering/ 

Wherenext replied on 06/04/2023 16:41

Posted on 06/04/2023 16:41

I am not sure how money is transferred onto the app. Very definitely not everyone uses internet banking.

I would also think that many would be cautious bout using the club internet for transferring money.

Hja it states in the link provided that you can do this before arriving, that is load some money and that unused money can be reimbursed at the end of the stay. It won't be the club that you are paying but Sagepay.

replied on 06/04/2023 17:01

Posted on 06/04/2023 17:01

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Hja replied on 06/04/2023 20:00

Posted on 06/04/2023 16:41 by Wherenext

I am not sure how money is transferred onto the app. Very definitely not everyone uses internet banking.

I would also think that many would be cautious bout using the club internet for transferring money.

Hja it states in the link provided that you can do this before arriving, that is load some money and that unused money can be reimbursed at the end of the stay. It won't be the club that you are paying but Sagepay.

Posted on 06/04/2023 20:00

Yes, but unless you know the cost you are being charged and your electricity consumption you may have to top up whilst away.  Of course you can always put loads of dosh on the app (or what ever it is) but i think many people may underestimate their usage.

Tinwheeler replied on 06/04/2023 20:13

Posted on 06/04/2023 20:00 by Hja

Yes, but unless you know the cost you are being charged and your electricity consumption you may have to top up whilst away.  Of course you can always put loads of dosh on the app (or what ever it is) but i think many people may underestimate their usage.

Posted on 06/04/2023 20:13

Good advice from WN there. Just shove what you think is adequate into the system and add a bit more as a safety net. You can get it back after if you don’t spend it all. Paying will be much like buying goods on line and that’s simple enough.

davetommo replied on 06/04/2023 20:16

Posted on 06/04/2023 18:37 by KjellNN

I wonder if it will put people off using the sites involved?

Posted on 06/04/2023 20:16

It has put me off. If you only get a £1 pound reduction in July then all I can say is they really are trying to rip us off. 

SteveL replied on 06/04/2023 20:33

Posted on 06/04/2023 20:33

Personally if we wanted to stay at a site in that area I would give it a try. Probably the only way to get some actual data. As it is I will be relying on the CC’s and others take on the trial.

DavidKlyne replied on 06/04/2023 21:13

Posted on 06/04/2023 21:13

I suppose it's possible that the payment method might put a few off but I can't see that metering per se will put people off. Although people seemed to have concentrated on the very small reduction in site fees that does vary across the year and later in the year the reduction is much bigger, when prices are probably lower already because of the season so at those times the value could look quite good? As mentioned by others this is an experiment so we don't yet know where it will lead. The two sites chosen are quite obscure so it won't impact the majority until it is rolled out nationwide.I suppose it's always possible that if energy prices go back to where they were before the Club could abandon the idea although I think that would be a great shame.

David

GEandGJE replied on 06/04/2023 22:02

Posted on 06/04/2023 22:02

If people don't use the sites during the trail, the data the club will get back is that due to the lack of take up, metering is not popular with the members. So it is in everyone's interest that people continue to visit these sites.

davetommo replied on 06/04/2023 22:20

Posted on 06/04/2023 22:02 by GEandGJE

If people don't use the sites during the trail, the data the club will get back is that due to the lack of take up, metering is not popular with the members. So it is in everyone's interest that people continue to visit these sites.

Posted on 06/04/2023 22:20

Depends if you want to be ripped off in July or not. £1 off your pitch fee is to me an insult. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook