Car trailers allowed on sites

SamCunningham replied on 08/05/2021 12:45

Posted on 08/05/2021 12:45

Hi just need some advice before purchasing a car trailer. We have a Motorhome length around 6.5 metres. We have a Fiat Arbath that we plan on towing with the Motorhome to sites so we can explore the area in the car instead of moving the Motorhome. My question is. Do sites accept car trailers? Has anyone had any problems with storing their. At trailer on their pitch? Any advice would be very helpful as this is the first time we would have towed a trailer behind Motorhome. Thanks Sam

Tinwheeler replied on 14/05/2021 17:41

Posted on 14/05/2021 17:41

Hi, Sam, and welcome.

Unless things have changed in recent years, it is allowable to place both car and trailer on the pitch along with your motorhome at no additional charge. Obviously, some pitches may not be physically capable of accommodating all 3 items and, in that event, you can park the car in the site car park. I would make sure you book a with-awning pitch to give yourself the best chance of a decent size pitch.

However, it is several years since we did this so I suggest you contact head office to check the current position. I would also carry a copy of the reply with you when you visit sites just in case some wardens aren't familiar with the situation.

kenexton replied on 14/05/2021 18:36

Posted on 14/05/2021 18:36

FYI.The elderly couple who were on the next pitch to us at Brecon,this week,had:Smart car,Motorhome and car trailer on their pitch(left to right).The MH was approx 6m long  and the trailer was of a suitable size for the Smart car.No problems/issues with any of that for us-fire break distances were adhered to etc.as it all fitted on neatlyand  within the hardstanding area.

Tinwheeler replied on 14/05/2021 18:40

Posted on 14/05/2021 18:36 by kenexton

FYI.The elderly couple who were on the next pitch to us at Brecon,this week,had:Smart car,Motorhome and car trailer on their pitch(left to right).The MH was approx 6m long  and the trailer was of a suitable size for the Smart car.No problems/issues with any of that for us-fire break distances were adhered to etc.as it all fitted on neatlyand  within the hardstanding area.

Posted on 14/05/2021 18:40

Ours fitted well on the HS on just about every site, Ken, and it was a sizeable lump. It's good to hear what's allowable hasn't changed.

Buteman replied on 15/05/2021 15:52

Posted on 15/05/2021 15:52

Hi Sam

We tow a Smart Car on a trailer behind our Autotrail Motorhome.

The Motorhome is 7.9 metres long and trailer inc towbar is a further 3.6 metres - I've experienced no issues from site staff so no worries there.

Space can be a limiting factor when it comes to loading/unloading the car from the trailer in terms of lining up the ramps- after much trial and error we generally find it easiest to find an open space (outside the toilet block is good) and unload/load  the rig there. I am assuming you intend to use a trailer as opposed to the A frame style of towing - A frames are illegal in France and Spain etc.

EmilysDad replied on 15/05/2021 21:04

Posted on 15/05/2021 21:04

I'm honestly not knocking anyone's variation on touring but .... I can never understand why you'd tow a car on a trailer behind a motorhome. You restrict your speed on a motorway ... restrict yourself from the outside lane of the motorway and make things difficult reversing a small trailer with a large vehicle. 2 lots of road tax & insurance to have a small vehicle while on site ... I thought the idea of a motorhome was to visit as you tour ...a couple of days here & there on route. 

MichaelT replied on 17/05/2021 20:55

Posted on 15/05/2021 21:04 by EmilysDad

I'm honestly not knocking anyone's variation on touring but .... I can never understand why you'd tow a car on a trailer behind a motorhome. You restrict your speed on a motorway ... restrict yourself from the outside lane of the motorway and make things difficult reversing a small trailer with a large vehicle. 2 lots of road tax & insurance to have a small vehicle while on site ... I thought the idea of a motorhome was to visit as you tour ...a couple of days here & there on route. 

Posted on 17/05/2021 20:55

Yep baffles me too, same as faffing around putting an awning up never got either. 

Only reason I can think of is for infirm or disable people being able to travel into towns as we all know how inadequate parking provisioning is for MH's. 

Buteman replied on 19/05/2021 09:22

Posted on 19/05/2021 09:22

Everyone's entitled to their opinions on this - our Smart Car which we tow behind our MH can get down to beaches and and explore along single track roads that most Motorhomes could not! And emissions are so low we pay no road tax on it! In fact it's our main mode of transport at home. So we think we have the best of both worlds! Motorhomes can be put on SORN for the months not in use too. 

We can cruise comfortably at 60 mph on motorways whilst towing too.

MichaelT replied on 19/05/2021 09:29

Posted on 19/05/2021 09:22 by Buteman

Everyone's entitled to their opinions on this - our Smart Car which we tow behind our MH can get down to beaches and and explore along single track roads that most Motorhomes could not! And emissions are so low we pay no road tax on it! In fact it's our main mode of transport at home. So we think we have the best of both worlds! Motorhomes can be put on SORN for the months not in use too. 

We can cruise comfortably at 60 mph on motorways whilst towing too.

Posted on 19/05/2021 09:29

And emissions are so low

Does this include the extra emissions you put out when towing?innocent

oldpeculiar replied on 19/05/2021 09:47

Posted on 19/05/2021 09:47

Regarding towing a car behind a motorhome. Each to their own requirements obviously.

We may end up with a caravan at some time, especially if more serviced pitches become available but in the meantime a motorhome is required for example to go "wild camping" and to tour Europe on the excellent Aire system as caravans are not allowed.  A car may be needed when using UK campsites, particularly those located rurally. Having both a motorhome and car gives the best of both worlds, and there is no extra cost particularly if it is a second car you have anyway (other than the cost of A frame or trailer). I used to have an A frame but now use a trailer as I cannot have one fitted to the current second car. I find using a trailer almost a quick to load as the A frame system, also I can reverse it easily (twin axle trailer) whereas it is impossible to reverse on an A frame. Never had any problem fitting all three on an awning pitch.

Tinwheeler replied on 19/05/2021 09:49

Posted on 19/05/2021 09:49

"We can cruise comfortably at 60 mph on motorways whilst towing too."

But not in the outside lane. The outfit I pictured earlier was as restrictive as towing a caravan so it was just as well do that. Give me the sub 3050kg unladen 70mph vans any day with no toad needed. But, whatever does it for you is good.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook