New Year Rally at Colton, Staffordshire.

willbee replied on 04/01/2024 13:35

Posted on 04/01/2024 13:35

With the weather as forcasted over the whole New Year period perhaps this South Staffs Caravan Club rally should have been cancelled?

The village hall amenity field was left in this state at the end of the rally. The local children will be unable to use the field for football and games for a very long time. There are considerable mutterings in the local community.

eurortraveller replied on 04/01/2024 20:04

Posted on 04/01/2024 20:04

Downright disgraceful behaviour. The Club and the local centre should pay in full to restore the field when the weather abates. And the rally organisers should be given a full scale telling off. 

nelliethehooker replied on 04/01/2024 21:20

Posted on 04/01/2024 21:04 by LLM

I'm surprised, or rather shocked, that any camper would have tugged a van or driven a MH on to ground that wet and fragile.

Posted on 04/01/2024 21:20

Nothing surprises me as to what some caravanners/motorhomers will do on grounds that are totally unsuitable for camping due to the amounts of rain that has fallen during the last 3 months.

richardandros replied on 07/01/2024 13:34

Posted on 07/01/2024 13:34

They deserve to have their membership revoked and the Centre disbanded.  Absolutely outrageous behaviour. Nothing short of outright vandalism and I don't blame the locals for being upset - I certainly would be.

Rushallmanor replied on 17/01/2024 16:55

Posted on 17/01/2024 16:55

I doubt the rally did all that damage, I had been at the hall in October and it was in a pretty grim state then. And as we all know how much rain fell in November and December. If rallies cancel at a late date by a centre they are often penalised financially by the landowner, usually it's the landowners decision to continue or not. As we don't know the circumstances we shouldn't judge.

willbee replied on 18/01/2024 10:08

Posted on 18/01/2024 10:08

Well Rushallmanor you seem to be the one who doesn't know the circumstances, so let me help you. The photograph was taken the day after the rally members left the field. On the 30th December I attempted to walk through the field on the public footpath, the gateway proved to be  impassable without going back for wellies. The tyremark trenches were from the gateway leading directly to each of the parked up vans and the mess made as they pitched up, hence my assumption that they were the cause of the mess. Or put another way, it was 100% obvious.

Rushallmanor replied on 18/01/2024 16:35

Posted on 18/01/2024 10:08 by willbee

Well Rushallmanor you seem to be the one who doesn't know the circumstances, so let me help you. The photograph was taken the day after the rally members left the field. On the 30th December I attempted to walk through the field on the public footpath, the gateway proved to be  impassable without going back for wellies. The tyremark trenches were from the gateway leading directly to each of the parked up vans and the mess made as they pitched up, hence my assumption that they were the cause of the mess. Or put another way, it was 100% obvious.

Posted on 18/01/2024 16:35

Peedee, the field was like that in October, so the damage caused by the New Year rally was probably marginal, the landowners would have know what was going to happen as it was already churned up. I watched several vehicles being towed on and off. The portion as you go through the entrance gate has a mesh in the grass but it still cuts up.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook