New solo caravanner!

AndreaAndTrixieDog replied on 04/06/2017 08:32

Posted on 04/06/2017 08:32

Hello everyone just thought I'd introduce myself! I'm inNorfolk and been caravanning with my dog for the last year. It would be great to sometimes meet up with some fellow solos just to make things a bit more social! Be nicer to go further afield too knowing there would be others about! 

methil28 replied on 07/09/2017 18:40

Posted on 07/09/2017 18:40

Hi, I am also in the New Companions.  My husband died three years ago and the club has been a godsend. Meg and I have travelled far and wide this last year-South of Spain and France. Going on lots of outings with the New Companions in the next few months.  I live near Hamilton, would be delighted to meet up with you sometime.  Jean

lornalou1 replied on 31/10/2017 21:26

Posted on 31/10/2017 21:26

i feel that you singles are quite lucky in some respect, coming and going when you feel like it. i still have my wife even though following brain surgery 5 years ago that went wrong and now brain injured, so doesn't talk and needs everything doing for her including blending all her food and feeding her/toileting/washing/dressing. i got a caravan as this is the only option for holidays and to be honest, even when i sit next to her i can feel alone and single, but have never seen anything on any club websites and forums that cater for the disabled and carers.

vivien replied on 02/11/2017 16:24

Posted on 02/11/2017 16:24

Lornaluo1, I can sympathise with your comment. Solos will always welcome you if you manage to have respite at all, or if on a site where we are, you are most welcome to drop in for a coffee etc.

I expect you are not alone being a full time carer on a site, and yes, it is. A shame that the C&MC doesn’t recognise that like single tourers, there are others who are in situations they would rather not be, left out in the cold and expected to mix with others that feel uncomfortable with your situation.  I know one gent in Scotland that tours whenever he has respite for both his wife and disabled son.  It is the break they all need, for him to return refreshed and ready until the next break away.

I heard from a lady who had a daughter with Down’s syndrome and another that is a paraplegic. She had a warden knocking on her caravan door saying they had had complaints about the children.  How narrow minded can people get.  They left Solos shortly after, plus sold the caravan.

I do hope that you can find like minded people who can share the same interests as you.  Perhaps start your own group..  I started advertising about Solos who tour, which now has quite a few hundred involved.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook