Solo levelling tips

ScreenName1100752E3A replied on 29/06/2021 11:07

Posted on 29/06/2021 11:07

hello  

I'm a novice and will be travelling as a solo adult with a toddler. 

is there any kit that would help me level the caravan alone please.  

many thanks for your help 

harry1000 replied on 19/09/2021 10:31

Posted on 19/09/2021 10:31

My original partner was quite severally disabled and unable to give me much help in setting up once on site, so back then it was almost all down to me to manage on my own. So I designed a simple gadget which enabled me to easily tell from outside the van, what needed to be done to get the van perfectly level. It takes all the toing and throughing out of getting it level. The display of the unit hangs in the front window.

I briefly described how to build one in this forum some weeks ago - it needs some level of skill to build, but it is definitely DIY-able. Should anyone want more details I will be happy to oblige.

My original partner passed away some years ago and I now have another fitter partner, whilst my own health has declined. So she now does much of the heavy work of setting up and packing - the gadget though is still used, making the levelling a quick one stage easy, accurate process. 

Navigateur replied on 19/09/2021 11:00

Posted on 19/09/2021 11:00

Levelling is a job best done solo anyway.  A supply of levelling blocks will be required however one does it - and something like a spirit level. Pick one with a shallow curve to the glass. That way the bubble will be easier to read as it will have more travel for a slight inclination.

Fore and aft levelling is easily arranged with the jockey wheel but it can be difficult to estimate the number of blocks for the side to side levelling. For this you can best use a plumb line set to hang just inside the doorway.  You will also need to mark the floor – or something cut to be able to be consistently positioned on the floor below the plumb bob.

On a level piece of ground set up the plumb line and mark where the bob hangs. Then run one side of the caravan up onto your blocks.  Mark where the bob then hangs. Then two blocks, etc though I’ve only gone as far as three.  Copy the marks to the opposite direction.

In use, park the caravan where you want it to be and use the plumb line to read off the number of blocks required.  I use lengths of joist timbers recovered from a skip, and have some pieces of ply-board which are about one quarter of the thickness of the main blocks. So I quickly get a reading of what I need to put under the wheels on that exact spot.

When you are getting your blocks, do ask to take the wood, and also ask the joiner to cut the end off a couple of blocks at a bevel so that there is a ramp at one end to run the wheel up. The off-cuts are even handy for overcoming kerbs.

JVB66 replied on 19/09/2021 11:06

Posted on 19/09/2021 11:06

I have only had a motor mover in the last few years,(doctors orders and now OH unable to assist)  if you have one it is a simple job to level a caravan,,it is well worth the investment

harry1000 replied on 19/09/2021 11:57

Posted on 19/09/2021 11:57

"On a level piece of ground set up the plumb line and mark where the bob hangs. Then run one side of the caravan up onto your blocks. Mark where the bob then hangs. Then two blocks, etc though I’ve only gone as far as three. Copy the marks to the opposite direction."

A similar principle to my gadget, except the plumbob is much smaller, tucked away fixed in a cupboard and is made to light LED's on a small display which you can hang in a window - where you need it, in a front window. It obviates the need to go round to visually inspect the bob weight, you can see what needs to be done at a glance and in the dark. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook