Solo vanning

Isla38 replied on 08/05/2018 21:51

Posted on 08/05/2018 21:51

Hi,My dear wife has recently passed away and initially I was going to sell the caravan,a Bailey Verona that weve had from new for a year but hardly used due to her illness. Im thinking of trying to use it alone but really like an awning to eat in . I have thought of a windout awning fitted by dealer with a privacy room,are there any alternatives. Am also interested in meetups, not for dating ,after 47 years of marriage Im well past that but company would be nice.

Thanks for bearing with me this far

RGR2 replied on 09/07/2018 15:37

Posted on 08/05/2018 21:51 by Isla38

Hi,My dear wife has recently passed away and initially I was going to sell the caravan,a Bailey Verona that weve had from new for a year but hardly used due to her illness. Im thinking of trying to use it alone but really like an awning to eat in . I have thought of a windout awning fitted by dealer with a privacy room,are there any alternatives. Am also interested in meetups, not for dating ,after 47 years of marriage Im well past that but company would be nice.

Thanks for bearing with me this far

Posted on 09/07/2018 15:37

Condolences BR. I only just joined Club Together so you may have already decided what the future is to be.  However I speak as someone who has experienced a spookily similar situation to your own. Married 47 years, my wife passed away last year after a sudden illness. We had enjoyed 40 years of caravanning and my family persuaded me not to give up until I had 'given it a go' on my own. We had a new, little used Bailey Cadiz. I decided to swap it for layout reasons and have managed to conquer a lot of the issues I expected. I bought a Bailey Prima 290 air awning, now used with a Swift Challenger 530. It is light enough to put up single-handed, all 4 panels can be removed, side doors have mesh panel and inflates by hand in a minute or two. Plenty of room as it's a bit deeper than many. Not the cheapest but material high quality and very strong in windy conditions.

I hope you persevere before making a final decision. May bump into each other at some point.

Regards

Roger

norab replied on 23/07/2018 17:38

Posted on 23/07/2018 17:38

We were in Netherlands at Easter on a rally . Not this club . 

There were about 4 or 5 solo caravanners / motorhomes . Two men in their own caravans and I think 3 or 4 ladies in there own motorhomes . 

After this rally they were moving on to another rally . . 

I think give it a try . It is nice to have company . 

Biggarmac replied on 24/07/2018 11:22

Posted on 24/07/2018 11:22

At the rally in the Netherlands I was one of the ladies in a motorhome.  We had a great time with good company as we always have in the New Companions.  newcompanions.org.uk

Biggarmac replied on 06/06/2021 22:16

Posted on 06/06/2021 22:16

svenhuesing.  This forum has gone very quiet as the people who used to post here have migrated to other groups.  Try joining the New Companions as their members organise meets all over the country.

www.newcompanions.org.uk

There are also many facebook groups for single/solo motorhomers etc

Crazy Woman replied on 27/02/2022 16:50

Posted on 27/02/2022 16:50

Hi.....I’m an adventurous single lady campervanner and am wondering if there are meet-ups organised at different locations? Or have I just given myself a job! 😃Diane

triky auto replied on 27/02/2022 22:31

Posted on 27/02/2022 22:31

Hi Diane.A New group  ha recently started up ,you may be interested in ." Camping Companions" Could be worth looking up??smile.

sixwheels replied on 06/07/2023 23:11

Posted on 06/07/2023 23:11

Have been caravanning solo for a number of  years. . A tip may help in hitching up solo. Couple the van and  the cable and switch on car lights. The van running lights can be seen in your mirror. Go round to the back of the van and unlock the car, which will flash both amber lights. Only the brake light must be proven. some suggest a prop against the pedal. I have a small visible  LED connected internally to the brake connection and it lights when the brake is pressed.

The only connection broken and remade since leaving home is the 13pin plug. .I have been caravanning for 53 years and have never known road lights to fail en-route. Get a friend to check your road lights before leaving home, and enjoy your travels.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook