What Motorhome?

bill replied on 12/11/2021 11:09

Posted on 12/11/2021 11:09

Now that I am on my own I have sold my caravan after 45+ years of caravanning and looking for a small motorhome.  There is little on the market at the moment so I will have to bide my time a little.

What I need ideally is a small motorhome that I could use on rallies and it would also double as a day van.  I have discounted camper vans as the majority don't have toilet compartments and van conversions seem way over priced for what you get.  It would also help if it had a long couch, rather than a dinette, to minimise bed making.  Is there anybody that has solved this problem our can recommend any motorhomes.  Many thanks.

Tinwheeler replied on 17/03/2022 17:45

Posted on 17/03/2022 17:33 by bill

Since I started this thread I have struggled to find a small motorhome for a solo ex caravanner camper but I have just been offered a 2017 Auto Sleeper Symbol from a dealer that I left my requirements with.  All being well I will be able to see it next week but it does, on paper, tick all the boxes that I require.

Has anybody got any comments on these good or bad ?  Many thanks.   Bill

Posted on 17/03/2022 17:45

They’re very popular, Bill. We nearly bought one but went for the Warwick instead. AS are renowned MHs but, in reality, their build quality isn’t any better than others but they make the vans look pretty with all bells and whistles provided.

Apologies if I gave you this link before but you’ll find people who know a lot more than i do here -

https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com

brue replied on 18/03/2022 20:54

Posted on 17/03/2022 17:33 by bill

Since I started this thread I have struggled to find a small motorhome for a solo ex caravanner camper but I have just been offered a 2017 Auto Sleeper Symbol from a dealer that I left my requirements with.  All being well I will be able to see it next week but it does, on paper, tick all the boxes that I require.

Has anybody got any comments on these good or bad ?  Many thanks.   Bill

Posted on 18/03/2022 20:54

We had a re-badged Symbol (an Orian Pavo, built for the rental market) we really liked it, the lay out worked very well and storage was excellent. Ours was the last of the production line, with a very light and calm interior. It was a few years ago now and the insulation wasn't brilliant for all year round use. However a 2017 version will be much improved, the layout has changed slightly too. We first saw one in use when a family member bought one and knew it was an easy van to drive and park, comfortable too. Autosleepers use good upholstery. We have similar in our present M/H and it has never sagged or worn out, the beds are comfortable when made up. I would be quite happy to use a Symbol again. smile

bill replied on 30/03/2022 10:47

Posted on 30/03/2022 10:47

Thank you for all the comments regarding my opening thread.  I had left my details with several local dealerships and a van conversion came up last week which is close to my requirements.  I have purchased it and brought it home yesterday.  It is an Auto Sleeper Symbol which is 5.4 M long on a Fiat Ducato chassis and fitted with a Fiat Comfortmatic gearbox.

The next task is to get all the stuff now littering my house from 35+ years caravanning in 4 berth caravans in to such a small space or deciding what has to go !   I would love to know some of the secrets to packing a van conversion !!  Bill.

brue replied on 30/03/2022 11:28

Posted on 30/03/2022 11:28

Good to hear you've got your van Bill and I hope you enjoy the Symbol. With fuel costing a lot the only thing I'd suggest is reducing the weight of what you carry to save on fuel. I think you'll find the Symbol can accommodate quite a bit and the main thing is to reduce noisy rattles by wrapping things up, grill pans etc need this treatment. Also, check the cupboard closures etc before you travel. There's nothing worse than hearing the cutlery drawer working loose when you're driving! Good luck. smile

Tinwheeler replied on 30/03/2022 12:06

Posted on 30/03/2022 12:06

Nice one, Bill.

Fitting shelves in overhead lockers helps get more gear in and I'd get rid of the useless plate rack as it takes up too much room.

A bike rack on the rear door may prove useful for fitting a box on or for carrying folding chairs. 

You know where to find answers to any questions. Enjoy. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook