New AL-KO 44 & 45

chip8483hall replied on 11/10/2017 15:10

Posted on 11/10/2017 15:10

I have just received a Swift Exlclusive 2018 model, to get cheaper insurance I needed a wheel lock from al-ko number 44 so I rang them only to find that swift had purchased the tooling rights for said locks, so I rang Swift they said ring al-ko, so I rang, they said ring Swift, so I did, the customer service said they knew nothing about it. Anyway after numerous emails & phone calls. Swift sent an email a couple of days later to say that the rrp was 250 pounds or there about, however YOU can only get them from an authorised dealership. After ringing around a lot of dealers they ranged from 314 to 385 pounds including vat. I managed to find a dealership that didn’t think they were Robin Hood, Marquis Caravans & Motorhomes, Dinnington, Sheffield, so if you want to feel less mugged, please go there. The man you need is called Eddie, you may have to wait a couple of weeks so that Swift send them to him 

Moderator Comment - Moved from the Story Section

IanTG replied on 13/05/2018 11:16

Posted on 13/05/2018 11:16

I have recently changed from Alko wheel-specific lock to Nemesis. Much easier to fit as the wheel doesn’t need to be aligned, and they are not wheel-specific, so you don’t have to change for a new caravan. They are industry approved so should meet insurance requirements.

ggregu replied on 13/05/2018 12:50

Posted on 13/05/2018 12:50

I have a 2018 van purchased in Feb. When I enquired about the wheel lock I was told I had to buy the complete kit, the insert was not available on its own.

After discussion with Swift, my dealer obtained the new lozenge at a cost of £160. Still a lot to pay but better than the £240 I was expecting to pay.

Gill

Phishing replied on 14/05/2018 00:01

Posted on 13/05/2018 13:52 by lornalou1

Agree eurotraveller. no matter how much security you have, if they want your van they will get it. insurance is a con.

Posted on 14/05/2018 00:01

Not as big a con as Alko wheel locks. Alko stop any other security company from utilizing the chassis mount so they have control of the market, then abuse it. £160 for a cast block of steel, outrageous.

Get a Nemesis.

Extugger replied on 14/05/2018 07:51

Posted on 14/05/2018 00:01 by Phishing

Not as big a con as Alko wheel locks. Alko stop any other security company from utilizing the chassis mount so they have control of the market, then abuse it. £160 for a cast block of steel, outrageous.

Get a Nemesis.

Posted on 14/05/2018 07:51

It seems the Alko lock offers very little resistance to thieves and their cutting equipment. I read somewhere the Nemesis offered the same resistance (about 30 seconds) 

Guess you have to do the maths, as others have said, insurance premiums are not exactly halved by fitting either but seem to be a requirement in their t&c's. 

A police security adviser told me one of the best deterrents was 'smart water' and yet only a few insurance companies even have it on their list of 'approved anti-theft devices'

itsavvy0191 replied on 08/06/2018 08:52

Posted on 14/05/2018 07:51 by Extugger

It seems the Alko lock offers very little resistance to thieves and their cutting equipment. I read somewhere the Nemesis offered the same resistance (about 30 seconds) 

Guess you have to do the maths, as others have said, insurance premiums are not exactly halved by fitting either but seem to be a requirement in their t&c's. 

A police security adviser told me one of the best deterrents was 'smart water' and yet only a few insurance companies even have it on their list of 'approved anti-theft devices'

Posted on 08/06/2018 08:52

Alko locks are far superior to Nemesis.  Thieves remove the Alko devices with Oxy Acetaline torches.  Nemesis ultra locks are removed by simply towing the caravan away making them an easier target.  That’s why when you see photos of where caravans have been stolen there are often drag marks.  The point that fixes into the wheel nut fails and the locks just fall off.

Alko are not perfect by any means, however they are the most secure lock available other than the JSB hublock which requires the wheel to be removed.

Many people go on about ‘it’s not worth the expense considering the insurance discount’.  Personally I’d rather make my caravan as hard as possible to steal regardless of the insurance.

kjmagrs replied on 08/06/2018 09:31

Posted on 08/06/2018 09:31

Having just changed our caravan we were told it needed a 35 wheel lock as opposed to the 33 that we had on the old van. Before paying the ridiculous prices tried fitting the 33 and low and behold it fit the new van. Can't be much difference in the sizes. Worth trying before paying out for a new lozenge.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook