20% Deposit

AWNINGHANDYMAN replied on 16/07/2023 19:35

Posted on 16/07/2023 19:35

I booked our Fortnight August holiday under the 20% deposit ruling but recently struggling with I’ll health. Should I not be able to travel and have to cancel last minute, will I be charged the 20% deposit or will the club reduce it to the new 10% ruling.

The only alternative is to cancel the original booking then renew straightaway to avoid weekend club bookings blocking my 15 day stay.

Any advice?

Cornersteady replied on 16/07/2023 19:52

Posted on 16/07/2023 19:52

From the FAQs:

I lost the full £25/20% deposit when I cancelled my booking within 21 days, am I entitled to an additional £5/10% refund?

No. When you placed your reservation, it was booked under the booking terms and conditions at the time which were emailed as part of your confirmation, therefore we cannot refund the difference in deposit

If your booking is more than 21 days from now then as you say rebooking will mean you get your deposit back and you could then rebook to reduce your potential deposit loss to to 10%. You could also look at the site's booking page in question and check on a daily basis if it starts getting full for your dates, keep an eye on the lows. Unless it's a very popular site? Riskier though. 

AWNINGHANDYMAN replied on 16/07/2023 21:23

Posted on 16/07/2023 21:23

Thank you Cornersteady,

Your information was far more helpful than a club staff member who informed me that I had 34 days before my holiday and wouldn’t be charged if I cancel now.

I have cancelled my original booking and rebooked with half the deposit. 

I personally feel that this new ruling has no consideration for the thousands of elderly, disabled and members with health issues who have to make appointments or receive unexpected treatment within the 3 week cancellation period and our club is receiving far more revenue without giving a service.

Why has the 20% been reduced to 10% so soon after starting? 
Have the club received more complaints than expected? 
Have members cancelled their membership after this change?

Cornersteady replied on 16/07/2023 22:09

Posted on 16/07/2023 21:23 by AWNINGHANDYMAN

Thank you Cornersteady,

Your information was far more helpful than a club staff member who informed me that I had 34 days before my holiday and wouldn’t be charged if I cancel now.

I have cancelled my original booking and rebooked with half the deposit. 

I personally feel that this new ruling has no consideration for the thousands of elderly, disabled and members with health issues who have to make appointments or receive unexpected treatment within the 3 week cancellation period and our club is receiving far more revenue without giving a service.

Why has the 20% been reduced to 10% so soon after starting? 
Have the club received more complaints than expected? 
Have members cancelled their membership after this change?

Posted on 16/07/2023 22:09

My pleasure. 

You may have a point about the new rules but I have noticed they have freed up pitches for booking at much shorter notice.

As to your questions:

It was thought in a previous thread that it was changed to 10% to make the club's T&Cs even better than the competition and it targets people like you who are booking for about four nights or more as there is still a £20 minimum. And the offer is only on till September is it?

No idea and I don't think the club are going to tell.

Again it would be difficult to know until the AGM but it was stated recently that the club's membership and rejoining rate are at an all time high. 

Anyway hope all goes well and you'll make your trip.

DavidKlyne replied on 19/07/2023 15:18

Posted on 19/07/2023 15:18

I wonder if the Club are starting to think that for longer term bookings, say over three days, that a 10% deposit would be a better happy medium? Are these reduced deposit offers a way of checking to see if a more permanent 10% deposit would work? I make the assumption that the majority of the previous cancelled bookings were for weekends so it might be a sensible move to keep the 20% deposit for three days or less but reduce all other deposits to 10%? I imagine that would be welcomed across the Club membership. If it were deemed not to increase the number of cancellations it could be a pragmatic solution?

David

Cornersteady replied on 19/07/2023 15:43

Posted on 19/07/2023 15:18 by DavidKlyne

I wonder if the Club are starting to think that for longer term bookings, say over three days, that a 10% deposit would be a better happy medium? Are these reduced deposit offers a way of checking to see if a more permanent 10% deposit would work? I make the assumption that the majority of the previous cancelled bookings were for weekends so it might be a sensible move to keep the 20% deposit for three days or less but reduce all other deposits to 10%? I imagine that would be welcomed across the Club membership. If it were deemed not to increase the number of cancellations it could be a pragmatic solution?

David

Posted on 19/07/2023 15:43

Agree, although all that would have to be one is keep the 10% and a £20 minimum (maybe £25) as is currently done? 

Any weekend booking would incur that minimum automatically, even three days.  

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook