Club Chairman

RowenaBCAMC replied on 28/10/2023 16:10

Posted on 28/10/2023 16:10

Following 16 years as Chairman of the Caravan and Motorhome Club, Grenville Chamberlain OBE will be stepping down.

We would like to thank Grenville (pictured left) for his unwavering dedication to the Club and its members throughout his time as Chairman.

We're delighted to announce that following the Caravan and Motorhome Club AGM, David Turner has been appointed as Chairman by Club members.

David (pictured right) has been a dedicated Club member since 1988, contributing significantly by serving on various Committees and previously holding the position of Club Vice-Chairman.

mickysf replied on 07/11/2023 08:49

Posted on 07/11/2023 08:49

“proper caravanning with car and van”

Hang on a minute, the original caravans were tents and used animal power not motorised vehicles. I’d bet they would call themselves the proper caravaners.😳

viatorem replied on 07/11/2023 09:12

Posted on 07/11/2023 09:12

I would suggest that anyone offended enough to comment should take the responsible step and report the post.

I thought it was an amusing anecdote well worth sharing. I'm sure the Moderators would have acted if the the mark was overstepped.

Hja replied on 07/11/2023 10:29

Posted on 07/11/2023 09:12 by viatorem

I would suggest that anyone offended enough to comment should take the responsible step and report the post.

I thought it was an amusing anecdote well worth sharing. I'm sure the Moderators would have acted if the the mark was overstepped.

Posted on 07/11/2023 10:29

Well I was irritated rather than offended. I felt it just about summed up all that is wrong with the CAMC and it’s attitude to motorhomes.

mickysf replied on 07/11/2023 10:49

Posted on 07/11/2023 10:49

I personally think the C&MC have, in recent years, opened their arms and been most welcoming to those of us in the motorised caravan fraternity. They have had to I guess as we are of a significant number in the membership these days. rather than the club I’d suggest it’s a minority of members with the attitude. 
What with motorhome service points popping up all over, the retention of that single night booking on all sites which helps many of our motorhome touring patterns and an understanding that some of us tow cars which do not insure additional charges. I see only a positive attitude. Much of this change has happened within the tenure of the outgoing chairman.👍

DavidKlyne replied on 07/11/2023 15:14

Posted on 07/11/2023 15:14

I thought the comment was somewhat tongue in cheek by someone who clearly knows the outgoing Chairman? As with any comment, context is everything and we shouldn't generalise or read into it something that is clearly not there. If you dislike the phrase clearly it's use will irk, regardless of the context but that does not make it wrong? 

David

TimboC replied on 07/11/2023 16:36

Posted on 06/11/2023 14:42 by fairportfan

If our new chair is half as good in the role as Grenville, we will be in very safe hands. We met Grenville over a number of days when we were involved with the filming of COTY in 2015, which incidentally we won, and a more enthusiastic and gentlemanly individual is hard to imagine.  With regard to the Club Together discussions following the programmes, which I believe were the most posts on any subject to that day, we attended the National at Weston Park by invite of the Caravan Club (as it was then) and seeing a coffee morning advertised on one day for Club Together contributors, we thought we would just pop along to meet some of the more ardent keyboard warriors in the flesh. Guess What? Not a soul there but a couple of CC staff and one lady who just fancied a cup of coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Draw your own conclusions.  

Very best wishes to Grenville and his wife. Just one question though Grenville, why did you go over to the dark side from proper caravanning with car and van?

Posted on 07/11/2023 16:36

I think that my conclusion is that CT contributors don't go to the National, just like the majority of members don't.

Would you have gone had you not been invited?

eurortraveller replied on 07/11/2023 20:03

Posted on 07/11/2023 17:32 by GEandGJE

Shame how this has gone off topic from celebrating somebody who has given 16 years of service to the club and it's members.

Posted on 07/11/2023 20:03

I suggest a 5 year or 7 term for future Chairmen or women - non extendable. That’s ample time for them to set out their plans, aims and objectives and guide the senior staff to put them into practice. 16 years is simply too long.

sunlovers replied on 08/11/2023 14:41

Posted on 08/11/2023 14:41

Does anyone really care if you have a caravan or motorhome I know caravans are better that's why I have a caravan. JOKE SORRYlaughinglaughing , after following this site for a few weeks it seems no one if allowed to have a sense of humour or light-hearted banter .Banter is good for you , I know , I had 40 on the Ambulance Service it was banter that relived the stress,. STOP being serious about  minor things enjoy the time we have left.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook