Disabled caravanners and campers

penpoll replied on 18/06/2022 18:57

Posted on 18/06/2022 18:57

Hello, 
having recently joined this club following the purchase of a lovely caravan I’m surprised that there isn’t a section for disabled people to share advice and tips. I would like to see fellow disabled campers forming a discussion group where they can share their favourite sites etc. 

Ive been really impressed with the ‘kindness of strangers’ who may or may not be members but have offered help to me and my husband when erecting our awning. We are fortunate that we could afford to equip our van with a motor mover and automatic legs/levelling system so setting the van up on site is easy. We have invested in an air awning which has also made life much easier as struggling with poles became too much. 

what I don’t understand is why site managers insist on awnings being erected on the hard standing??? It’s okay perhaps for a fit and able camper to swing a lump hammer at rock pegs to drive them in but it’s impossible for elderly disabled people. I have invested in an impact drill and pegs but they won’t go into the solid concrete that appears to be under the gravel. Any suggestions?

it’s a case of being convenient for the site owners (no yellow patches on grass) rather than making it a pleasure for their customers. Crunching around on a ground sheet laid on gravel us unpleasant. Being told you can park your car on the grass but not your awning is laughable!!!

I would love to hear what other disabled caravanners and campers do??

perhaps there could be a ‘blue badge’ group?

Tinwheeler replied on 18/06/2022 19:16

Posted on 18/06/2022 19:16

Hello Penpoll and welcome.

I think this club is all inclusive and doesn’t segregate people. We have had members asking for a group for gays, for instance, but why should we have special groups based on gender, ability or any other factor? We are all equal here. The only exception was the Solo's group where solos could arrange meets etc but that seems to have fizzled out.

Bear in mind, too, that not all people with restricted mobility have blue badges which is another reason for not having an exclusive group. We're all here mucking in together.

You can, of course, start your own discussion in an appropriate section and people of all abilities will join in which is what Finnberrys did HERE along with other threads and stories she created.

As for awnings on the HS, it’s mainly about maintaining the required spacing. Most sites tend to only have narrow grass bands between pitches and if you used that, you’d be far too close to your neighbour. If in doubt, check with the site warden.

DavidKlyne replied on 18/06/2022 22:22

Posted on 18/06/2022 22:22

penpoll

Not turning you away from this forum, you are most welcome. There is a Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/thedisabledcaravanandcampingclub which you might wish to have a look at. On this forum, very old software, and unlikely to be able to add new sections it would be best to just ask what you want to do and, as you have already done, pose the question you need answered in the appropriate section. Special sections could be looked at if we ever get new new software.

David

richardandros replied on 19/06/2022 13:30

Posted on 19/06/2022 13:30

Penpoll - welcome to the forum and whilst, as I get older I am having to come to terms with some physical limitations, I am not actually 'disabled' as such.  Nevertheless, I agree wholeheartedly with your views on hardstandings and share your dislike of them. 

It is only in winter that I concede that they are a necessary evil!

Like you, we have a motor mover, E&P levelling and an air awning to make life as easy as possible.  I wonder, however, if you have had chance to discover CLs and, (with the other Club), CS's? Whilst there is a tendency for an increasing number to have hard standings (unfortunately), most of those not open all year still have lovely grass pitches and usually with loads of room around them.

These are our preferred sites and we regularly stay on a few favourite 'gems'.

You will even find more than a few with facilities every bit as good - and sometimes better - than on Club sites - and often at a fraction of the price.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook