Dynamic pricing to be introduced

replied on 09/02/2023 14:34

Posted on 09/02/2023 14:34

Apparently dynamic pricing is to be rolled out to all UK campsites during 2023.

Which means that those that book up to a year ahead will be able to take advantage of the lowest prices.

Those who for whatever reason cannot commit to booking so far in advance will be penalised if they wish to book closer to the time of travel because apparently the higher the popularity of a campsite and the closer to the time of arrival the booking is made, the higher the price may be.

As with all the changes that have happened during the last 6 months, where were any or more importantly ALL the members consulted and balloted regarding these changes?

Many older members (like ourselves) cannot commit to long term bookings due to medical considerations, appointments that may arise because of these etc; we have previously just set off when able on a ‘tour’ and then by way of the (what was) late availability checker booked ‘on the fly.’

We have already been penalised with the 21 day non-returnable deposit system which really could have been much fairer reduced to 7 days. 

I used to fiercely defend the CAMC as a great organisation to be a member of but this latest move has been the nail in the coffin for us personally.

Tinwheeler replied on 02/08/2023 17:50

Posted on 02/08/2023 17:28 by MikeyA

Does that mean that toddler sized paddling pools are also banned? - seems very OTT in my opinion.

Posted on 02/08/2023 17:50

It’s no good asking me but I guess a pool is a pool. Otherwise, the wardens will have to be out with their measuring sticks. 🙂

Yetiowner replied on 02/08/2023 18:24

Posted on 02/08/2023 18:24

I have just been charged £16. I tried to amend a booking last night. I was just unable to do it. ( the amendment was to reduce a departure date by two days, as we are going to a camc CL. Today I phoned to do this, this morning. 21 days prior to arrival, and the two days cancelled were more than 21 days away. We are using CAMC sites less, and less. The private sites are often cheaper. We have been members since 2010, and my parents belonged for many years, giving much of their time to a local group.
I understand about ‘tightening up’ but booking sites and amending is now a stressful operation. I dread going on to the booking site now.

It no longer feels like a club.

eurortraveller replied on 02/08/2023 20:06

Posted on 02/08/2023 20:06

Thank you for telling us of the mistake you made in your original booking. If it only cost you £16 you were fortunate. At other sites you would be much more out of pocket.

PeterandKaren replied on 18/09/2023 16:58

Posted on 18/09/2023 16:58

Having been a member for over forty years I’d got used to the way the club worked and generally trusted those at the top to get it right.  The way the sites have changed and the booking/pricing system now works makes me think that my membership is simply the equivalent of a store points card.  

When I was working it helped me enormously that if I needed I could flex my holiday plans.  That’s the beauty of caravanning.  Even now we have family things that can crop up and require a change of plan.

Dynamic pricing is a way the budget providers extract cash.  It isn’t the approach a supposedly mutually owned “Club” should behave.

DaveWales replied on 20/09/2023 07:22

Posted on 20/09/2023 07:22

I don't see the problem personally. Everyone moaned that they couldn't get a clear week or so's booking because members booked up many weekends FOC months in advance then cancelled at the last moment. Now there is a scheme that ensures you can get the holiday dates you want  booked well in advance because multiple casual bookings are no longer being made so many are moaning.

Why?

If you have to cancel and loose your deposit due to unforeseen and genuine reasons holiday insurance could cover the cost. Millions book holidays well in advance not knowing  if they will still be able to take them come the day. 

If you don't want to take a chance on the weather, wait until nearer the time and accept you might not be able to get a booking or might have to pay more. The choice is yours.

If I have any complaint it's that the advertised pricing is deceptive, especially the cost of adding a second person who basically is no added cost to the club

ClubMember1D0FC7A6E0 replied on 12/04/2024 15:51

Posted on 12/04/2024 15:51

Hello fellow club members

I joined the Club yesterday, having just bought a VW campervan and excited to try it out. We decided to book for a site in the New Forest for Sunday and Monday, happy with the price quoted on the website of £69. I waited a couple of hours to confirm with friends who are also going, only to find the price had jumped to £101. That is an increase of 46% over the 2 hours. The campsite confirmed this was because of "dynamic pricing". I thought I had joined a helpful members' club, it appears this is as exploitative as a standard profit-driven corporation. Early days but so far I am not happy.

SteveL replied on 12/04/2024 16:21

Posted on 12/04/2024 15:51 by ClubMember1D0FC7A6E0

I joined the Club yesterday, having just bought a VW campervan and excited to try it out. We decided to book for a site in the New Forest for Sunday and Monday, happy with the price quoted on the website of £69. I waited a couple of hours to confirm with friends who are also going, only to find the price had jumped to £101. That is an increase of 46% over the 2 hours. The campsite confirmed this was because of "dynamic pricing". I thought I had joined a helpful members' club, it appears this is as exploitative as a standard profit-driven corporation. Early days but so far I am not happy.

Posted on 12/04/2024 16:21

I’ve certainly noticed dynamic pricing in operation but I have only ever seen a few pounds  a night increase when low appears on the calendar.The sort of increase you mention is more like those applied by some well known hotel chains. Perhaps they are following there example.☹️

DavidKlyne replied on 12/04/2024 20:21

Posted on 12/04/2024 15:51 by ClubMember1D0FC7A6E0

Posted on 12/04/2024 20:21

Are you sure you are talking about the same type of pitch. Just checked, a grass pitch without electrics would be £69 for two nights for two adults but if a Premium Pitch is booked it is £103. Those are prices as per the time of this post.

David

mickysf replied on 13/04/2024 09:17

Posted on 09/02/2023 14:34 by

Apparently dynamic pricing is to be rolled out to all UK campsites during 2023.

Which means that those that book up to a year ahead will be able to take advantage of the lowest prices.

Those who for whatever reason cannot commit to booking so far in advance will be penalised if they wish to book closer to the time of travel because apparently the higher the popularity of a campsite and the closer to the time of arrival the booking is made, the higher the price may be.

As with all the changes that have happened during the last 6 months, where were any or more importantly ALL the members consulted and balloted regarding these changes?

Many older members (like ourselves) cannot commit to long term bookings due to medical considerations, appointments that may arise because of these etc; we have previously just set off when able on a ‘tour’ and then by way of the (what was) late availability checker booked ‘on the fly.’

We have already been penalised with the 21 day non-returnable deposit system which really could have been much fairer reduced to 7 days. 

I used to fiercely defend the CAMC as a great organisation to be a member of but this latest move has been the nail in the coffin for us personally.

Posted on 13/04/2024 09:17

Who is the author of this post, I’ve never seen an anonymous post before. How and why has this happened?

DavidKlyne replied on 13/04/2024 09:49

Posted on 13/04/2024 09:17 by mickysf

Who is the author of this post, I’ve never seen an anonymous post before. How and why has this happened?

Posted on 13/04/2024 09:49

I think the answer is in the 4th post down in the thread where the OP replied but that post now contains the following message "The user and all related content has been Deleted User" I imagine that is done as a request to HQ. Given the OP is clearly no longer a members I will close this thread, if the subject matter remains an issue for members there is no reason not to start a new thread.

David

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook