Trying to decide re renewal

ecocamping replied on 15/07/2023 11:29

Posted on 15/07/2023 11:29

Having been members for aprox 25 years, we had decided to wait and see by our renewal date, in the hope over the last 6 months the club would have sorted the online booking system and whilst its not as bad as it was its still hard work to work out site prices and availability.

So we were coming round to staying members, however the following is putting us off membership (yes I know there will be other views):-

1. The site cost increases

2. The terms and conditions that mean even changing site dates you loose deposit. Even when our kids were young there would be the occasional brake down, high wind or illness that might prevent us traveling and we could not afford to loose a deposit fee, this was the true value to us for the Club as we could usually delay travel by a day or move to different dates. Now that is even more important with carer responsibilities.

So we cannot book in advance and move dates if something happens and it is not viable to have insurance for this. We were members who often picked up extra nights if someone cancelled. 

4. Having brought back midweek offers, we are disappointed to see the misleading advertising of them as you don't get them unless you can book in advance.

5. The magazine is not as informative and too full of personal columns and adverts for club offers which don't actually benefit members - e.g. the shop its more expensive and has less stock than many other local caravan part shops. 

6. The decision that we all want digital membership cards - which if you don't have a smart phone or loose power are not available!

So on balance we may not renew, however if we don't renew we are letting what might be a small minority control the club, so is it better to renew and actively look at how we can have more of a say? 

Does anyone know if there is going to be any new people standing for election or how people get elected?

Also why does the club not have more member participation? I don't mean the questionnaire surveys that can be useful but also can be used in the wrong way.

Finally should the club have a limit on how long an elected member can hold office - like most clubs and groups?

DaveCyn replied on 16/07/2023 15:45

Posted on 16/07/2023 15:30 by eurortraveller
Content has been removed.

Posted on 16/07/2023 15:45

Dogs become members of the family so it shows they have their priorities right.

How anyone chooses to spend their hard earned is entirely their business and certainly not deserving of comments such as yours!

ecocamping replied on 29/07/2023 15:23

Posted on 29/07/2023 15:23

Sadly having been members since 1997, after much consideration, we have decided that the club is no longer right for us, the USP of the club  (being able to choose pitch on arrival not grass or hardstanding, being able to change dates even if its by a day without losing any deposit if you have a delay such as high winds vehicle problems or illness) has gone.

The magazine has less information and is harder to read now than it was, the club needs to think about making it more readable with better print for accessibility if sight impaired or dyslexia etc.

Having seen hard standing pitches grow in size on club sites to the point where its often like staying in a carpark and pitches flood more as less able to drain this is bad for the environment.

The name change was an unnecessary expense poorly implemented.

The change to the booking system and not having anyone to speak to at weekend to book is less than helpful, we have waited to see if it would improve by now and are disappointed that even with some changes, its still very hard work to use and book.

Looking at the cost for us, combined with the savings and what we get we can no longer justify being members so will be choosing from the alternatives.

We hope the club listens to its members before its too late. The current stream of emails trying to get us to take up offers appears that its not working, we won't miss those.

Wanted to say good bye for now, we have had some wonderful times on club sites and CLs, have rallied with club centres and up till now insured our caravans with the club. We loved having the caravan club credit card in the past and offers in the past seemed much better than they are now.

We may re join in the future if things change.

DavidKlyne replied on 29/07/2023 16:48

Posted on 29/07/2023 16:48

ecocamping

Don't they say one man's meat is another man's poison? Some of the things you list as negatives for you are positives for others. Some of us have long argued that we wanted to book a pitch type at the time of booking, so when the Club enabled that many of use were really pleased. The name change just reflects the modern make up of the Club. Whilst some motorhomers might argue the Club still has a lot to do in how it deals with motorhomer needs they wanted the wider public to know that they were not just a Club for caravans. If you enjoy using CL's are you not shooting yourself in the foot by not remaining a member? Whatever you decide I hope you make the decision that suits you, the Club is always here.

David

Tinwheeler replied on 29/07/2023 18:55

Posted on 29/07/2023 18:55

I think Eco deserves recognition for standing by his views and voting with his wheels. That’s a far better way to deal with discontent than to constantly moan yet continue paying membership fees which, in my view, devalues the criticism levied.

Rod10 replied on 02/08/2023 22:54

Posted on 15/07/2023 15:11 by Hja

I have some sympathy for the original post.

We don’t use Club sites and retain membership for CLs. Booked two days ago to go away for three nights next week.

We are just not that organised to book months ahead. I think it is different if you are booking a two or three week summer holiday and need to book leave. Although when we were in that position, we were going to Europe, just booking the ferries, never camp sites, even in school summer holiday.

We continue to receive hard copy directory and memb card. We receive hard copy magazine because we both like to flick through which we couldn’t do conveniently if one of us received it electronically. I agree there is nothing much in it, but I find that true of a lot of club type mags and even many Motorhome mags.

As for the organisation of the club, I think it is all a bit of a cabale. We can vote for Council members prior to the AGM, including an option to say “no” to one or more. This is done electronically. Then at the AGM which I observed last year, by zoom, they vote and unanimously accept everyone. I have yet to find out how they incorporate the “postal” votes. Astonishingly, there are the correct number of candidates for places.

People nominated seem to be associated in some way with the area groups, or what ever they are called. Despite having an area group on my membership card I have never had any communication from them.

There are also Q & A sessions around the country. I have seen one advertised in the magazine, but not for anywhere near me.

I think only a select few members are allowed to participate. You have to be in the know. A real democratic deficit, in my view.

Over the last year or two I have felt increasingly that members are considered irrelevant. I think the club is run and managed by people who in some cases have no idea what caravanning and motorhoming is all about.

So why do I remain a member? Simply for the CLs. We have also for the first time joined the CCC this year. We have been to three of their club sites, as it happens. Whilst they reaffirmed our dislike of large sites, we found them more relaxed and pleasant than CAMC sites. And because we benefit from the age discount much cheaper. 

Posted on 02/08/2023 22:54

Everyone using a site this weekend ought to look around at the customer base. Then observe the wardens too before finally checking this image of the:Committee

Now ask yourself, is there any obvious connection between those customers, wardens and the Committee? Does that image honestly and accurately reflect or represent the membership? Is it likely to attract members? Are current and new members likely to feel connection with the Committee? How likely are current and potential members to feel enthused and drawn to the Club or to participating in how the Club is run?

ps. I use the term “Club” in its most loose interpretation.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook