Credit card for club purchases

GTrimmer replied on 02/07/2022 13:24

Posted on 02/07/2022 13:24

On two occasions recently I have had my planned purchase from the Club refused by the issuing bank - Tesco Bank.

The first occasion was when trying to renew my insurance on line, the second was this morning when trying to book a ferry crossing.  No, my card is not 'maxed out ' smile

On contacting the issuer today I was told that there is nothing wrong with my account, the issue would appear to be with 'the Merchant' who may not have yet complied with the new security arrangements required by all banks since March of this year.

It's more than a little frustrating to have to phone and join the inevitable queue for an agent to answer  as I did for my insurance, but of course I was unable to do that today - a Saturday.

Is any one else experiencing similar problems ?

Tinwheeler replied on 02/07/2022 13:36

Posted on 02/07/2022 13:36

Not with CAMC but I had similar with a holiday accommodation letting company. It appeared their website wasn’t compatible with the dual authentication system.

I, too, had to go through the rigmarole of phoning and, to add insult to injury, they tried to add a surcharge for booking by phone!

obbernockle replied on 02/07/2022 15:41

Posted on 02/07/2022 15:41

Our Mayday breakdown insurance renewal premium wasn't collected when it was due. I noticed the debit was missing from the on-line bank statement. It was originally a debit card payment, which last year was renewed without a problem. Fortunately, I noticed the debit was missing within days and contacted Green Flag to find out that the attempted debit had been refused by my bank. No one had told me, which is the bit that I really don't like.

I wondered how I would have been treated if I needed breakdown service?

ABM replied on 02/07/2022 16:48

Posted on 02/07/2022 16:48

I'm not sure if this is a similar problem but,  on occasion,  I find that using a card for two purchases of  £50 plus  will see the first purchase accepted just by waving the card over the reader, but the later reading , for fuel perhaps, will require the P I N to be used.  None of this possible for the above uses, i.e. Holiday Lets or Mayday renewal,  and it's always the second use that fails without access to the reader.

SteveL replied on 02/07/2022 17:11

Posted on 02/07/2022 16:48 by ABM

I'm not sure if this is a similar problem but,  on occasion,  I find that using a card for two purchases of  £50 plus  will see the first purchase accepted just by waving the card over the reader, but the later reading , for fuel perhaps, will require the P I N to be used.  None of this possible for the above uses, i.e. Holiday Lets or Mayday renewal,  and it's always the second use that fails without access to the reader.

Posted on 02/07/2022 17:11

I’ve found purchases of fuel over £50, unfortunately the norm lately, generally rejected for contactless. I suppose it’s an obvious use for anyone unscrupulous finding a lost card. Quick in and out and I don’t suppose the police have got the resources to trawl through CCTV and link the offender to the use of the credit card.

ABM replied on 02/07/2022 21:45

Posted on 02/07/2022 21:45

SteveL,  I was just giving that as an example that happens regularly.  I'm sure it has happened at other times / stores  just not so easily recalled.

B

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook