Doggy daycare

JudyandPeter replied on 09/01/2024 17:58

Posted on 09/01/2024 17:58

We’ve just bought our first caravan. In our 70s! We must be mad, but we fancy a new project.

The plan is to fly less and explore more of this country. And we want to take our two mini schnauzers, Oscar and George, with us. It obviously remains to be seen how they (and we!) take to touring, but assuming they’re happy to be with us and are happy to visit new places, which they usually are, it should be fun. Except when we want to go somewhere they’re not welcome – a stately home for instance, or many shops and eateries. What do we do then? And what do other doggy tourers do?

We certainly wouldn’t be happy to leave them in the van; far too insecure. I don’t even like leaving them on their own in the far more secure car, unless the car remains in sight.

I wonder, do any campsites provide doggy daycare facilities? Either directly with a supervised 'creche', or indirectly by, say, maintaining a list of trusted local dogsitters? Do fellow tourers perhaps offer to look after each other’s dogs on a reciprocal basis? Maybe such offers could be recorded with the campsite management on arrival, or even when booking. Or is this too risky? Most fellow campers would be strangers, after all.

I’d be interested to hear about others’ experiences when taking their dogs with them and what their views are about having some local doggy daycare provision. I'm sure such services would be welcome to many.

moulesy replied on 09/01/2024 18:31

Posted on 09/01/2024 18:31

J&P - you're in for some exciting times. I'm sure the dogs will love it as ours always did over many years of UK touring.

To answer a couple of your questions - as far as stately homes etc are concerned, we used to take turns - most NT properties don't allow dogs in buildings or cultivated areas, but do have maps of walks. So one of us would mooch around the house & grounds while the other walked the dogs, meet up for lunch, then swap roles in the afternoon. Most pubs allow dogs, at least in some areas - if they didn't then we didn't use them. An email in advance is the best way of making sure if you're going to be welcome and also ensures a table in a suitable area with enough space for the 4 of you.

When one of our dogs was too old for long walks we did sometimes put up a notice in the information area asking if anyone would look after him for a couple of hours and we were pleasantly surprised at the number of offers we got. Very often we could reciprocate the gesture and look after their dogs on another day.

We would never leave ours unattended in the van so well done on deciding that too.

Hopefully, you'll find, like us, that dogs enhance your experience, rather than limiting it, but you'll have to be prepared to compromise on some occasions.

Good luck, let us know how things go! 🐕🐕

Tinwheeler replied on 09/01/2024 18:34

Posted on 09/01/2024 18:34

We always took our dog with us. If he wasn’t welcome somewhere, we didn’t go there. Some folk will visit places such as NT houses and take it in turns to go inside while the other stays outside with the dog(s).

I've not come across any doggy day care and I’m certain it doesn’t exist on CAMC sites. It’s not recommended to leave dogs unattended in your caravan on site and people have found themselves the subject of complaints for doing so. I’d not have left mine with total strangers but each to their own.

The club's dogs on sites leaflet might be of interest.

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/globalassets/pdfs/content/uk-holidays/Visiting-Club-sites-with-dogs/

Enjoy your new van and the trips with your dogs👍🏻

Ha, cross posted with Moulesy 😀

nelliethehooker replied on 09/01/2024 20:24

Posted on 09/01/2024 20:24

There are a few CLs, small 5 van only sites, that offer secure kennels where you can leave your dog, for a charge, when you head out for the day, Barleywood near Fakenham being one.

However we have always taken our dog(s) with us in the car, where they stay when we go into places such as N/T properties and when we go shopping too. Hope you enjoy your touring whatever way you choose to do it.

Takethedogalong replied on 09/01/2024 23:48

Posted on 09/01/2024 23:48

Our dogs have always gone everywhere with us, and like others, we either don’t bother visiting places that can’t take dogs, or take it in turns. A lot more shops now welcome well behaved dogs, and a lot of eateries have outdoor areas, or a dog friendly room. You need to be careful in Summer about leaving them in a car obviously. We’ve never looked for dog day care, but most places you visit might have something local, if you plan carefully. Dogs will need to be vaccinated so take there vacc cards, and some places won’t want to accept anything noisy or badly behaved. I think most folks who have a dog and tour recognise that there will need to be compromises. It’s that or leaving them at home with family or friends, or in kennels.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook