How Much Insurance ?

bill replied on 14/03/2023 10:34

Posted on 14/03/2023 10:34

Had CAMC insurance for my caravans for over 35 years with no problems at all. Last year I bought my first campervan and again insured through CAMC but was offered no 'no claims' bonus at all. I have just got my renewal and the cost has rocketed ! The renewal notice quoted what I paid last year and it was completely wrong and the 'no claims' discount was zero. Surely I am entitled to 1 years NCD ? Phoned CAMC who were no help at all and will try at get back to me tomorrow. Broker was Devitt Insurance who placed it with AXA.  Second year renewal quote was £778.17.

Any recommendations for reliable insurers ?

Kasspa replied on 15/03/2023 23:39

Posted on 15/03/2023 09:47 by SteveL

When we switched to a MH in 2019 I didn’t get rid of my tow car and therefore wasn’t eligible for any NCB. The CAMC quoted me circa £1200, they clearly didn’t want to insure me, as there is no way that was representative of the market at the time. Finally went with comfort insurance at less than half that.

Posted on 15/03/2023 23:39

+1 for Comfort Insurance, I have purchased the Breakdown Cover as an add-on for £73....

An increase of £8 from last year.

bill replied on 22/03/2023 09:00

Posted on 22/03/2023 09:00

An update, to my original post, for anybody interested.  I went online to comare.com and entered my details.  Interestingly I received a quote for nearly £300 cheaper with guess who ?  The Caravan and Motorhome Club !  I rang CAMC yet again and it seems that they use 3 different insurers but couldn't explain why they hadn't offered me the cheapest one but did confirm that the terms and conditions of the policies were identical.

Takethedogalong replied on 22/03/2023 10:09

Posted on 22/03/2023 10:09

Common practice Bill. Always best to shop around and not accept the first quote. 

nelliethehooker replied on 22/03/2023 21:48

Posted on 22/03/2023 09:00 by bill

An update, to my original post, for anybody interested.  I went online to comare.com and entered my details.  Interestingly I received a quote for nearly £300 cheaper with guess who ?  The Caravan and Motorhome Club !  I rang CAMC yet again and it seems that they use 3 different insurers but couldn't explain why they hadn't offered me the cheapest one but did confirm that the terms and conditions of the policies were identical.

Posted on 22/03/2023 21:48

Is that the one you chose then, bill, or pick a cheaper insurer, and if so which one?

bill replied on 23/03/2023 20:33

Posted on 22/03/2023 21:48 by nelliethehooker

Is that the one you chose then, bill, or pick a cheaper insurer, and if so which one?

Posted on 23/03/2023 20:33

I did choose the second option as it was very competitive on my details although not necessarily the absolute cheapest.  The shame is that it doesn't always pay to be loyal to just one company which I was trying to do !.

BlueVanMan replied on 26/03/2023 08:48

Posted on 26/03/2023 08:48

Its odd but over a 20 year period I have sometimes been insured with CAMC but mostly with Comfort Insurance. For me CAMC are usually uncompetitive but individual circumstances vary.

When I started I got an introductory premium reduction a sort of non claims bonus from Comfort. . Have a good look at the whole market CAMC, Safeguard, Comfort etc possibly LV and SAGA if appropriate. 

You should be able to find something that suits. When comparing look at terms and conditions carefully, e.g. premiums, vehicle new for old if a new van, security requirements, alarm. tracker etc. 

McRiches replied on 12/06/2023 17:36

Posted on 12/06/2023 17:36

I have just today had the lovely task of shopping around for insurance for a new campervan we pick up tomorrow. I have used CAMH and Adrian Flux in the past for my Buccaneer but thought I would search the forums on here and also on VWT6.1 forums too. 

Comfort consistently came out as being the most highly praised Insurer especially if you need to claim.

I first got a quote for CAMH which came to £900. Comfort quoted £349, they dont complicate things by offering add ons, apart from breakdown cover. They don't place you on auto renewal by default and they don't hike up prices on renewal. They have a fixed excess of £200 and contents of personal items cover is £5000. This does not include high value items which should be covered under your household insurance. this is true as I remember this dealing with my sons Uni flat contents. Travel to Europe is covered as standard (within time limits).

This simplification means they can keep the costs down and you don't have to waste your time reading through all the tedious fluctuations each policy is offering. Im all for reading the small print but the time taken to sift through policies in order to work out comparatives is time needed elsewhere.

Will give them a go and see. 

EmilysDad replied on 28/06/2023 19:03

Posted on 28/06/2023 19:03

Just had a quote from the other club for caravan insurance .... it was even more than the renewal quote from this club by nearly £150 ..... and I thought the quote from is club was high. Ironically I've just taken house & contents insurance for less!

Seems like you can only get a quote from Comfort online for some kind of motorhome in spite of their web page saying they also insure caravans  🤷‍♂️

Tammygirl replied on 06/07/2023 15:26

Posted on 06/07/2023 15:26

We've just recently been through the process of renewing MH cover. 

CAMC, no way far to expensive

Saga, we were with them on AA 3 year fixed deal, new quote up by 117%

Comfort was £660 through LV

Adrian flux was around the same

Phoned LV direct to get a quote as they do multi car (my car was also due) got a good quote for the MH but car was  high so no multi deal. However their quote for MH alone was half what Comfort had quoted us for the same vehicle. LV direct has got the business. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook