July 2022 Magazine

Wherenext replied on 29/06/2022 16:13

Posted on 29/06/2022 16:13

Is the club on its uppers? Nobody loving it anymore? Have they been "unPC"? After all why would advertisers leave it in droves?

This month's magazine contained not a single additional advertising leaflet.🤔😀 A first for me. Mind you they all just go straight to the recycling bin.

brue replied on 26/07/2022 17:22

Posted on 26/07/2022 17:22

It was a bit of a wishy washy article without a defining title. The "three Cs" could apply to many places.

hitchglitch replied on 27/07/2022 21:20

Posted on 27/07/2022 21:20

The August mag contains a 16 page advertising supplement for a well known make of caravans and motorhomes. It would be interesting to work out the ads/articles ratio. All I can say is that the articles are hard to find. I rarely see anything that interests me or is original but I guess that’s down to personal taste. Not exactly cutting edge is it?

TimboC replied on 28/07/2022 08:52

Posted on 28/07/2022 08:52

i think that 'free' magazines have had their day, as they are only kept going by advertising. The club magazine is a good example of this with a good 50% of it now adverts. If advertisers are not paying for inserts, this would suggest that the circulation is falling, and responses are low.

The biggest problem with the Club magazine is the remaining 50%. Because it now has less space for articles, things are crammed in. There is also a varied audience to cater for, so an individual magazine invariably has nothing of relevance or interest to say, a motorhomer who only uses CL's, or a caravanner who likes to go off grid.

We got to the point where it ended up in the recycling bin 5 minutes after receipt. Compare that to our Practical Caravan magazine subscription, a number of copies of which have been kept because they contain information that is relevant to us.

We have now cancelled the Club magazine, and can honestly say have never looked at it online since.

peedee replied on 28/07/2022 10:52

Posted on 26/07/2022 12:37 by DavidKlyne

Perhaps not helped by some maps including Carlisle in the North Eastsmile

David

Posted on 28/07/2022 10:52

Or the inaccurate information on distances from Berwick Seaview site to the beach and town. Its a 10 minute stroll to the beach not 3 minutes and its over a mile to the town centre. To do that in 15mins you would need to jog!

peedee

hitchglitch replied on 28/07/2022 14:21

Posted on 28/07/2022 14:21

The technical articles have become superficial compared with what they used to be. Just as an example of where the Club could actually provide very helpful information and clear up some bad practice would be motorhome tyre pressures where there is contradictory advice and lack of clarity between base vehicle manufacturers and converters. There are many other examples of technical issues with both caravans and motorhomes e.g. reverse polarity on overseas sites, towing stability and stabilisers, hydraulic levelling, LPG cylinders v refillable etc. etc. I am told in the Aug magazine that the IEC plug on my hook-up cable will probably work on most continental sites but I may need an adapter depending on the country. Hardly scratches the surface does it?

DavidKlyne replied on 28/07/2022 20:42

Posted on 28/07/2022 10:52 by peedee

Or the inaccurate information on distances from Berwick Seaview site to the beach and town. Its a 10 minute stroll to the beach not 3 minutes and its over a mile to the town centre. To do that in 15mins you would need to jog!

peedee

Posted on 28/07/2022 20:42

Google Maps says 1.3 miles and 26 mins from the site's furthest pitches to the Town Hall. Given the general age profile of Club membership I am not sure they should be basing it on the ability of Usain Bolt!!!

David

Wherenext replied on 28/07/2022 20:59

Posted on 28/07/2022 20:59

Obviously the author of the articles used to work in Estate Agency somewhere, Peedee.smile

I tend to just turn to the C.L. section, note the additions, deletions and changes and then throw the magazine in the recycling.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook