MH & Caravan Wi-F Hubs & 3G/4G Boosters

Kontikiboy replied on 18/10/2021 17:50

Posted on 18/10/2021 17:50

Hi all,

I have just been reading the “Uprated Wi-Fi” article in this section and thought I would sound out members on wi-fi hubs and routers.      I have a Maxview Roam router on the roof of my motorhome, mainly to boost the 3G/4G signal to our iPhones.   We spend a lot of time at Black Knowl and Vodafone only gets one bar there, but the booster now increases that to two or three bars.     The Roam also has a secondary function, in that, it can pick up wi-fi.   If you manage to connect to an external wi-fi system you can then run up to 50 devices from the router.     I thought, well that is £30 saved right away, as we have two CAMC wi-fi subscriptions, but NO, Airangel don’t allow this.    CAMC/Airangel wi-fi uses what is known as a Captive Portal, a form of access control, normally only used on public wi-fi in shops, bars and airports etc, where the wi-fi is free.

Also, I have noticed that many new 2022 motorhomes are now built with these routers as standard.   Certainly, the new higher spec’ Swift MHs are getting them, so it is the future.

I wrote to the club HQ and requested them to speak to Airangel to find a solution around this connection type, ie to connect without first having to log onto a web site.    The reply was:

“Unfortunately there isn't any way around that, given that Airangel have to control access to Caravan Club guest WiFi.”

So, has anyone else got such a router?    We know the club wi-fi is pretty useless in most areas and when new technology comes along which could improve things and save members hard earned cash we would expect the club to take advantage of this new technology.      But Unfortunately…..

I also pointed out that the club shop sells the Avtex version of this product so the club must support it, but no, this was the reply: 

“We will update the information on the Club Shop for the Avtex AMR985 Mobile WiFi router, since the description does say the unit can connect to existing campsite Wi-Fi networks, but that's unlikely to be supported where a captive portal is used to control access - as is the case for Caravan Club WiFi, where users need to log in via a web browser before they can get online.”

I am interested to know if I am the only fool doing this, or is it the way forward?

Comments please…

BillC

Vulcan replied on 18/10/2021 18:34

Posted on 18/10/2021 17:50 by Kontikiboy

Hi all,

I have just been reading the “Uprated Wi-Fi” article in this section and thought I would sound out members on wi-fi hubs and routers.      I have a Maxview Roam router on the roof of my motorhome, mainly to boost the 3G/4G signal to our iPhones.   We spend a lot of time at Black Knowl and Vodafone only gets one bar there, but the booster now increases that to two or three bars.     The Roam also has a secondary function, in that, it can pick up wi-fi.   If you manage to connect to an external wi-fi system you can then run up to 50 devices from the router.     I thought, well that is £30 saved right away, as we have two CAMC wi-fi subscriptions, but NO, Airangel don’t allow this.    CAMC/Airangel wi-fi uses what is known as a Captive Portal, a form of access control, normally only used on public wi-fi in shops, bars and airports etc, where the wi-fi is free.

Also, I have noticed that many new 2022 motorhomes are now built with these routers as standard.   Certainly, the new higher spec’ Swift MHs are getting them, so it is the future.

I wrote to the club HQ and requested them to speak to Airangel to find a solution around this connection type, ie to connect without first having to log onto a web site.    The reply was:

“Unfortunately there isn't any way around that, given that Airangel have to control access to Caravan Club guest WiFi.”

So, has anyone else got such a router?    We know the club wi-fi is pretty useless in most areas and when new technology comes along which could improve things and save members hard earned cash we would expect the club to take advantage of this new technology.      But Unfortunately…..

I also pointed out that the club shop sells the Avtex version of this product so the club must support it, but no, this was the reply: 

“We will update the information on the Club Shop for the Avtex AMR985 Mobile WiFi router, since the description does say the unit can connect to existing campsite Wi-Fi networks, but that's unlikely to be supported where a captive portal is used to control access - as is the case for Caravan Club WiFi, where users need to log in via a web browser before they can get online.”

I am interested to know if I am the only fool doing this, or is it the way forward?

Comments please…

BillC

Posted on 18/10/2021 18:34

Are you sure you have your Router WiFi settings right, i have never had a problem running several devices from my WiFi Router and as far as i know many others do also, ok three weeks ago on club site.

Vulcan replied on 18/10/2021 18:39

Posted on 18/10/2021 18:39

Further to my last post, why do you think logging in via a web browser is a problem, you only have to do it once when you sign in at a new location.

eribaMotters replied on 18/10/2021 20:05

Posted on 18/10/2021 20:05

I bought one of these a few years ago.

https://www.motorhomewifi.com/product/iboost-pro-d8-directional-system/

I'm not tech savvy and I do not have a smart phone. If the site has  wi-fi I can generally pick it up on this. Range is excellent. In an open situation it has reached 200+ m.  

Logging onto the booster/moden is possible using several devices. I use my tablet and my wife uses her phone.

I have not bothered to attempt this on a club site as I've heard so many times how useless and expensive it is.

Colin

Oneputt replied on 18/10/2021 21:20

Posted on 18/10/2021 21:20

I use an i boost and never have a problem.  I log on to the clubs WiFi and then other users log-on to my I boost, works fine

Kontikiboy replied on 19/10/2021 16:48

Posted on 19/10/2021 16:48

Hi Vulcan,

I have had serious discussions with The Club and Air Angel and there is no way you can log this router in CC wi-fi.    Maxview have also confirmed that this type of router is not designed for wi-fi using Captive Portal access control, ie inside a barrier web site.   It is not possible for this router to automatically log on to AirAngels web site.    However, the club could negotiate with AirAngel and get them to change their access control to something that is more modern and acceptable to members.

BillC

Kontikiboy replied on 19/10/2021 17:01

Posted on 19/10/2021 17:01

Hi EM,

Primarily, I needed the system to boost 3&4G mobile signals and this works well on that, even when driving, so when on a long journey to, say, Spain we can have a signal boost on-route.    Also, as I said earlier, because we spend a lot of time in the New Forest we know the signals a poor and the Forestry Commission won’t let anybody change that, so we now can boost those signals coming from a mast in Brockenhurst.     The wi-fi address has to be pre-setup so it can be picked up by your on board devices, as seen in the device Wi-Fi settings, but this cannot be achieved if you have to log on to a web site first and then fill out an access form, as in AirAngel.

BillC

Kontikiboy replied on 19/10/2021 20:35

Posted on 19/10/2021 20:35

Hi A&J,

We don’t have a problem with our phone connections, that works well, we are disappointed that we can’t use the wi-fi part of it on CAMC sites, because of the methodology AirAngel have adopted.     The phones  are all picked up automatically and get a boost, so our devices are just talking to the router in the cupboard above the fridge.    But often the phone data isn’t good enough for watching TV.

BillC

ScreenName83FDF9EA64 replied on 07/12/2022 07:55

Posted on 18/10/2021 18:34 by Vulcan

Are you sure you have your Router WiFi settings right, i have never had a problem running several devices from my WiFi Router and as far as i know many others do also, ok three weeks ago on club site.

Posted on 07/12/2022 07:55

I checked up and I was told the same thing Avtex have the contract to use the captive portal on Club campsites and Maxview Roam won’t work 😠 

peedee replied on 08/12/2022 07:37

Posted on 08/12/2022 07:37

I don't rely on WiFi, least of all that of the Club's. If it is available and free then fine otherwise we rely on mobile signals. We equip our phones with sim cards from different providers currently Libra (Vodaphone) and GiffGaff (O2) Either can be used as hot spots. Additionally I have a router (TP Link) with a 3 Mobile a pay as you go sim. It is very rare we are without any comms.

peedee

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook