Motorhome Insurance Renewals

RadioActive48 replied on 31/03/2023 15:49

Posted on 31/03/2023 15:49

Hi all.

Just had my Devitt Renewal Notice. Premium JUMPED up - No accident or other claims and I should have a No Claims discount, but after all that positivity (!) the quote has rocketed - defo in the wrong direction!

Phoned Devitt's. Despite their website statement that they ...'use a panel of Underwriters' to gain best offers....The very pleasant chap on the phone said that they couldn't (...wouldn't?) seek a better quote unless *I* provided THEM with a cheaper quote from a comparison site !

Surely if Aldi are selling chocolates, they know to the PENNY how much the local Tesco, Waitrose and Morrisons are charging for the same product! - So it stands up to rational thinking that the CLUB's chosen Insurers have that information too in order to support Club members to gain the best rates ?

Nevertheless, I attempted to play their game and went to Compare the Meerkat(!). After vehicle registration it seeks the Make and Model of the vehicle - "as shown on my logbook". My logbook (V5) shows mine as a "Benimar Mileo"... but no Moho manufacturers are shown in their pick list! I only get something I can work with if I go with Fiat and Ducato (The chassis base) ... but that is NOT what is on my V5 !   Catch 22 ??

Anybody recommend a less painful direction for insurance?

TIA

Den

replied on 31/03/2023 15:57

Posted on 31/03/2023 15:57

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Hja replied on 31/03/2023 16:04

Posted on 31/03/2023 16:04

We always insured our caravan with the Club. When we got our first Motorhome about 5 years ago I did a bit of shopping around, essentially phoning about 5 different companies. Comfort were the best price, much lower than the Club, and pleasant and helpful. We have stayed with them, we have changed our van but little change in premium over the years. Hope I haven’t jinksed it, renewal not due for a couple of months.

RadioActive48 replied on 31/03/2023 17:49

Posted on 31/03/2023 17:49

Many thanks for your swift responses and suggestions.

There do appear to be number of recurring issues regarding insurance (why am I not surprised!) so thanks for the link.

Many thanks also to [Deleted User User]. I have now gone with Comfort which has knocked over 200 squid off the Devitt renewal!

I looked at NFU but they came back over double the original Devitt figure !!

Thread now closed. Again many thanks for your time folks.

RadioActive48 replied on 31/03/2023 17:55

Posted on 31/03/2023 17:55

Sorry, wrong attribution....

It was hja I should be thanking for the Comfort suggestion. Sorry, cited that one all wrong !!

Many thanks. Soooo much better both financially and in terms of the helpful process with Comfort.

replied on 31/03/2023 17:56

Posted on 31/03/2023 17:49 by RadioActive48

Many thanks for your swift responses and suggestions.

There do appear to be number of recurring issues regarding insurance (why am I not surprised!) so thanks for the link.

Many thanks also to Dorset Diver. I have now gone with Comfort which has knocked over 200 squid off the Devitt renewal!

I looked at NFU but they came back over double the original Devitt figure !!

Thread now closed. Again many thanks for your time folks.

Posted on 31/03/2023 17:56

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

EmilysDad replied on 31/03/2023 18:28

Posted on 31/03/2023 18:28

Apparently "The sweet spot is to apply for a quote 21 days in advance" according to Martin Lewis 

Obviously this is for car insurance .... maybe the same for Motorhome 🤷‍♂️

g7orge replied on 24/05/2023 16:59

Posted on 24/05/2023 16:59

I had the same thing with Devitt - up £100 from last year for no reason.

I then tried on the club comparison and got slightly cheaper insurance also with Devitt. I paid for the insurance. A week later I had an extremely rude person from Devitts call to say that the premium cannot be honoured as I am not a new customer and cannot have a reduction to the renewal offer! 

I won't be using Devitts again.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook