Sites Directory 'leather' cover

Charisma replied on 05/08/2018 15:35

Posted on 05/08/2018 15:35

Many years ago I purchased a Caravan Club green 'leather' cover with pen holder to house the Sites Directory handbook and pockets for the map, notes etc. It was very useful but over the years it is showing signs of being worse for wear and the 'leather' is disintegrating badly.

Looking in the Club Shop online I cannot find this item anymore. Has it been discontinued?

hitchglitch replied on 16/08/2022 13:23

Posted on 15/08/2022 21:45 by TomL

Just what will members without access to the internet be expected to do ? There must be thousands still around who have been with the club for many years.

Posted on 16/08/2022 13:23

Seriously? Difficult to check site availability then, especially if they don’t have a telephone either. Focus needs to be on an app with books as back-up.

JVB66 replied on 16/08/2022 13:27

Posted on 16/08/2022 13:23 by hitchglitch

Seriously? Difficult to check site availability then, especially if they don’t have a telephone either. Focus needs to be on an app with books as back-up.

Posted on 16/08/2022 13:27

Seriously, if I need to book a site it is very easy to  contact EGH or the site they have always return ed the call

JVB66 replied on 17/08/2022 07:32

Posted on 15/08/2022 21:45 by TomL

Just what will members without access to the internet be expected to do ? There must be thousands still around who have been with the club for many years.

Posted on 17/08/2022 07:32

You are so right a couple near us on the site we left in Monday were not on the internet at their rural home and did not have a smart phone either as they said we can manage and why pay silly money for something that at home is near useless and said we talk to others who are in the same situation 

Even where we are most mobile signals are poor and a very slow internet

SteveL replied on 17/08/2022 08:29

Posted on 17/08/2022 07:32 by JVB66

You are so right a couple near us on the site we left in Monday were not on the internet at their rural home and did not have a smart phone either as they said we can manage and why pay silly money for something that at home is near useless and said we talk to others who are in the same situation 

Even where we are most mobile signals are poor and a very slow internet

Posted on 17/08/2022 08:29

Things change JVB. It wouldn’t be sensible for the CAMC to continue pouring money into producing the directory if members don’t really want or use it. From what I’ve read they are not going to just stop it, but you will have to opt in. By the time it is eventually phased out, the number who will be disadvantaged because they have no access to the internet, is likely to be very small indeed. It’s not just the CAMC who are moving more and more services online, it’s happening everywhere, as the cost savings are significant.

I’ve been with my bank for almost 50 years and they’ve had a lot more of my money than the club, but it doesn’t stop them dropping more and more physical services and making us travel miles to a bank. However, at least I’ve now managed to crack paying in a cheque using my smart phone.😀

Amesford replied on 17/08/2022 10:08

Posted on 17/08/2022 10:08

Sorry to change the subject but Looking at some of the questions and problems on CT some members appear not to read either of the magazine mediums which contains the rules and useful info for theirs and other members safety and enjoyment 

hitchglitch replied on 17/08/2022 14:00

Posted on 17/08/2022 14:00

There is certainly a mismatch in Internet availability in different parts of the country. In out semi-rural area we have fibre to the house so have ditched the land line and use fibre broadband (400 Mb) and two mobiles. Total cost about the same as line rental plus phone line broadband. The government are committing a large amount of money to roll out fibre throughout the country but it will be several years before copper wires can be retired.

Meanwhile no doubt paper books will be needed for some but agree that should be an opt-in. 

Judging by the abject performance of this website and the lack of apps, for example for overseas sites, the Club needs to play rapid catch-up.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook