2009 Ducato 2.3lt "leaking fuel filter"

ClubMember5364B0406E replied on 13/11/2023 16:59

Posted on 13/11/2023 16:59

Greetings,

I own a 2009 Fiat Ducato Swift Escape, acquired in April of this year, and it has only covered 23,000 miles so far.

Regrettably, I've experienced four significant 'diesel fuel leaks' since April. The leaks consistently originate from the screw-seal area. Each time, I've addressed the issue by installing new (green top) fuel filters.

I'm seeking advice or solutions from anyone who may have experience with this issue.

Thank you.

Moderator Comment - Moved from Story Section as questions should be in the discussion area

LLM replied on 13/11/2023 19:56

Posted on 13/11/2023 19:56

Dorset Driver was the expert on this subject but he no longer posts on this forum.  In November 2012 he managed to get DVSA / VOSA to carryout a detailed investigation into what was then a constant problem.  It affected my 2009 Fiat based van at the time.  But the only thing I can only remember is that you must use only actual Fiat parts when you replace the filter and seals in the housing.  For some reason the housing just won't accept aftermarket parts.  I occasionally see Dorset Diver on the Motorhome Fun forum so maybe you could post your question there.  

Lukeledge replied on 15/11/2023 08:47

Posted on 15/11/2023 08:47

The Fiat Forum has a Ducato section which is useful for this type of query.

https://www.fiatforum.com/forums/ducato.108/

Randomcamper replied on 19/11/2023 10:30

Posted on 19/11/2023 10:30

The issue of diesel fuel leaks from the fuel filter housing are extremely well documented on most of the motorhome forums and a google search should bring up several days reading material !

The issue seems to be if you just try to change the fuel filter rather than the whole canister, then if it is tightened incorrectly it leaks .

Laser sell a special tool to help tighten it up correctly......

But most people seem to advocate buying a replacement whole canister including the new filter. A search of the famous auction site should bring up plenty of choice...

You seem to be saying that even changing the whole unit you are still having leaks? 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook