Heydon newbies

JudyandPeter replied on 19/10/2023 17:46

Posted on 19/10/2023 17:46

Hello, we are Judy and Peter, living just outside Heydon, 6 miles south of Holt. And we are total caravanning newbies!

The inspiration came from Millionaire Motorhomes, but on the basis of expense and other factors, we've decided we'd like a caravan. But are a bit overwhelmed with both the choice and the limitations. Where to start??

Already we have some ideas about what we do and don't want. We know we need two separate sleeping areas front and back - he snores and jiffles! So we want a (probably) central washroom so that we can individually use the loo overnight without disturbing the other. A large fridge including a large freezer for the dogs' frozen food. TV conveniently situated in the lounge.

We don't want an 8ft wide van as the lanes near us are quite narrow and twisty. Fine unless you encounter a monstrous agricultural machine or a truck. Don't want an island bed that has to be pulled out for sleeping.

We'd prefer wet central heating. A shower with reasonable power.

We've seen many vans that have lots of these features but none so far that include everything. One bugbear I have with central washrooms is that the shower is almost always over the wheel housing, which then intrudes into the shower base.

Adria is a favoured brand so far tho it's very early days. We would have gone to the current show at the NEC but couldn't find dogsitters. We've organised now to go in February but would like to have a much shorter short list before we go!

Don't have a fixed budget but of course there's a limit, probably something like £35K, but would prefer under £30K, and would consider secondhand.

Any hints, tips and tricks from those in the know??? Thanks!

Moderator Comment - Moved from Story Section

Takethedogalong replied on 25/10/2023 14:59

Posted on 25/10/2023 14:59

It’s fine to concentrate on what sort of outfit you want, but don’t forget to think about where you want to go, and how you want to move about with this touring outfit. Sticking an outfit on one site for say three weeks is a whole lot different to hopping around for three weeks, even if it’s just a couple of sites. GB touring, or overseas touring primarily?

A good starting point is to agree on a list of must haves (and that might not just be design of outfit, but things like storing it, setting up/packing away, having it serviced) things, aspects you cannot do without. 

Then look at desirables, not essential qualities, but things to make touring life easier, less expensive, no hassle. Can you see any compromises, other ways of solving what you think might be a problem, but with a bit of thought is easily resolved.

Good luck with whatever you choose, but do a lot of research, don’t buy on a whim, and don’t get sucked into dealer speak. There are some absolute sharks, buying issues only resolved by going to court, long, long waits for remedial work to be done, so tread carefully and ask lots of questions before committing large sums of money.

LLM replied on 25/10/2023 20:05

Posted on 25/10/2023 13:26 by TimboC

I've never bought into this 'Continental good, British bad' mantra either. Two of the worst cars Ive had have been German.

Posted on 25/10/2023 20:05

Yep, Trabant and Wartburg did have their faults.

TimboC replied on 25/10/2023 20:21

Posted on 25/10/2023 20:05 by LLM

Yep, Trabant and Wartburg did have their faults.

Posted on 25/10/2023 20:21

I'll take your word on that

JudyandPeter replied on 31/12/2023 16:13

Posted on 31/12/2023 16:13

Thanks everyone for your very helpful replies. Sorry I haven't been back here before now - been too busy choosing a caravan, and all that goes with that!

We did end up with the Adria Adora Tiber 2024. Haven't brought it home yet but have been busy preparing! First got the towbar fitted to Peter's Mercedes S Class. Then he had a short towing course, including theory and on-road towing. He was quite nervous in anticipation, but it all went reassuringly well!

Have also stocked up with quite a load of basics such as melamine crockery, tumblers, cutlery etc. Next on the list are bedlinen, a TV, something to dry towels on etc etc etc!

Dealer is closed until 2nd at which point we'll complete insurance and plan our first trial few nights away. Maybe just up the road to Sandringham. If we can organise cat care! The dogs will come with us!

We're excited, if a little apprehensive. But looking forward, not just to caravanning itself but also to the various opportunities the Club offers. I'm fascinated, for instance, that the club has a choir. How does that work?!

Wherenext replied on 31/12/2023 16:40

Posted on 31/12/2023 16:40

I'm fascinated, for instance, that the club has a choir. How does that work?!

I think you'll find that they tend to sing in unison.wink

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but you may be able to increase your payload by upgrading the axle limit. Speak to your dealer as I'm not sure what Adria do with regard to that. Our axle limit was increased by 50kgs which gives us a healthy 209 kg payload.

Good luck with your new caravan.

N1805 replied on 31/12/2023 20:26

Posted on 31/12/2023 20:26

JudyandPeter – It might be an idea to find out where your local weigh bridge is and arrange to get your outfit weighed when it’s fully loaded for a trip away.  Enjoy

JudyandPeter replied on 03/01/2024 23:03

Posted on 03/01/2024 23:03

Eventually the choice came down to two – the Adria Adora Tiber 2024 and the Swift Challenger Grande 635 SE 2023. They both had much going for them but the deciding factor was the bathroom door arrangement. In the Swift, the bathroom door needed to be kept closed to the lounge. This had the effect of making the lounge area very small. In the Adria, on the other hand, the door could be closed over the washroom area, i.e. the basin and toilet, while the glass shower doors remained visible, thus retaining clear sight from one end of the van to the other, if desired. Of course, both the washroom door and the bedroom door could be closed together or separately as required.

So the van has been selected and paid for and this has inevitably let to many more purchases of essential items! Bed linen is proving problematic for a genuinely kingsize inline island bed. Most sites quote sizes for double beds, with a 4ft 6″ width, as opposed to the Tiber’s 5ft width.

Nearly ready to go now! Husband has had a towbar fitted to his Mercedes S Class and has undertaken a half-day towing course. He was sleepless with anxiety the night before. No idea why. Especially when he’d happily, and successfully, taken on learning how to drive large touring motorbikes. Until, that is, he had an argument with a suicidal pheasant and decided, with a tad of encouragement from moi, to give up biking. He still misses it. Anyhoo, the towing course – half theory, half on-road – went reassuringly well.

Insurance, and all its requirements, is being sorted as I type. We’ve even just this morning decided we need a weight gauge. We are required to fit a tracker so a suitable device has been organised. And I’ve ordered a couple of clothes/wet towel airers to fit over the van’s windows. So much to think about and learn!

Then there’s a cover. And how to fit it. And …….

Oneputt replied on 03/01/2024 23:15

Posted on 03/01/2024 23:15

First let me say Heydon village is lovely, we go there quite often for a wander and afternoon tea.

Enjoy your future caravan trips

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook