BMW X3 (G01) aftermarket tow bar

Karlavanner replied on 13/11/2023 21:36

Posted on 13/11/2023 21:36

Hi fellow caravanners,

Has anyone been able to get an aftermarket tow bar fitted on a BMW X3 and get the BMW trailer stability control feature to work?

I'm currently looking for a fitter but although they all seem to be certain that the dedicated electrics will disable the parking sensors (and in some cases the rear fog lights)...

I have not found anyone that guarantees it will enable the trailer stability feature which I would have got with a factory fitted towbar.

viatorem replied on 15/11/2023 13:08

Posted on 15/11/2023 13:08

I think that you need the OEM electric box for that function, on my X1 a towbar graphic shows on the dash when the 13 pin plug is initially connected. 

Karlavanner replied on 16/11/2023 19:27

Posted on 16/11/2023 19:27

Thanks viatorem 

I'm now waiting on a reply from the dealership about the OEM options. I suspect it's going to be a costly option because BMW stopped pre wiring the tow electrics  to a socket in the boot. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook