Caravan covers

AndyJF replied on 21/10/2023 23:15

Posted on 21/10/2023 23:15

I was considering buying a Protec cover for my van. However, on dropping it off today for a service, one of the people there said that using a cover would be a mistake. He said that because the cover is breathable, and allows water through, it can cause problems due to the water not being able to evaporate, and lead to mould growth. He also said it'll be blown by the wind and get ripped, as they don't fasten securely

I've had a look at the Protec website, and they make their covers from a waterproof fabric, which would obviously keep the rain off it.

So now I'm confused on whether he's talking about a much cheaper cover he used, which was rubbish, or if Protec offers a superior quality product which won't suffer from the problems he mentioned.

Any thoughts/opinions?

eribaMotters replied on 12/11/2023 12:08

Posted on 12/11/2023 12:08

It would be illegal as your lights would be covered. I don't think you would be it that position for very long though as the wind would get under the edges and rip it off. You would then be a cause of danger to other road users.

As regards the hailstones. I thought they would fall into the same area of possible damage due to stone impact when towing.

A 2mm thick piece of material cannot make much difference. Covers are excellent at keeping a van clean, but do not really offer any other form of protection.

Colin

Tinwheeler replied on 12/11/2023 12:57

Posted on 12/11/2023 12:57

I’m not sure if the questioner meant a full cover or a roof cover but, either way, it would be a hazardous and probably illegal undertaking as you say, EM, and definitely not a good idea.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook