Curious

Milothedog replied on 27/08/2019 19:27

Posted on 27/08/2019 19:27

I've been following a story on a FB group of someone towing a 70's Sprite around Europe with a 70's triumph stag. From what I can see there is no breakaway cable between car and caravan. I know back then it wasn't required but does anyone know how you would stand legally now, especially "over there"

As per title, just curious?

EmilysDad replied on 27/08/2019 20:31

Posted on 27/08/2019 20:31

No idea .... but legal requirements seem to be rarely retrospectively applied.

They don't seem to know what the current rules are 'over there' re break away cables. 😉

Vulcan replied on 27/08/2019 21:01

Posted on 27/08/2019 19:27 by Milothedog

I've been following a story on a FB group of someone towing a 70's Sprite around Europe with a 70's triumph stag. From what I can see there is no breakaway cable between car and caravan. I know back then it wasn't required but does anyone know how you would stand legally now, especially "over there"

As per title, just curious?

Posted on 27/08/2019 21:01

Breakaway cables have only been a legal requirement for trailers and caravans built since 1982.

Takethedogalong replied on 27/08/2019 21:33

Posted on 27/08/2019 21:33

It’s not uncommon to see classic cars without a lot of the the equipment we have become so used to now. Seatbelts.......not fitted to cars before 1966. Perfectly legal to drive around without them in a pre ‘66 car, although it is illegal to carry a child under 3 years old in one.

Some classics have bits fitted retrospectively.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook