Double axle caravans

Sandgroper replied on 09/08/2017 00:04

Posted on 09/08/2017 00:04

Thinking of changing to a double axle van - are there any tricks to adjusting the noseweight or does the double axle resolve that problem?

I guess that the double axle will reduce the simple balance situation that exists with a single axle, but is it usually necessary to adjust the tow ball height to match the van rather than to adjust the balance of the van? I ask because a towing hitch that is too high will be trying to tip the van onto the back wheels.

Banff replied on 08/10/2017 07:46

Posted on 08/10/2017 07:46

Here is something to think about with towballs being to high that many of you will not be aware of the caravan technical department was not much use when I contacted them about it 

if you fit a drop plate to a tow ball to reduce the height they have to be tested at the same time together at the point of manufacture otherwise they can void the insurance if the worst happens , also brink don't make drop plates so are never tested together and witter does not recommend them and if you tow with a commercial vehicle including pick ups they are illegal after 2014 by a Euro directive 

i ordered a new 67 plate ford ranger wildtrak pickup , ford was also not aware of this issue and fair play to ford they give me my deposit back 

they are a lot of people towing like this unaware of the consequences , if the worst ever happens they are giving the insurance companies a get out of jail clause 

its well worth doing the research before buying a new tow vehicle, I'm glad I did 

Navigateur replied on 08/10/2017 12:40

Posted on 08/10/2017 12:40

For a twin axle trailer to balance exactly could be nice, but mine can have anything from 140kg nose weight (Reich gauge) to a negative number that I can't measure as the jockey wheel is way up in the air off the ground and I'm rushing to jump on it before the rear end makes contact with Mother Earth!  This is just when motor moving, so goodness knows what the loadings are on the highway. 

It does however tow very comfortably behing the Land Rover.

CBRBlackbird replied on 08/10/2017 20:48

Posted on 08/10/2017 20:48

Whilst looking for something else, I have spotted in the Lunar handbook that the ball hitch height for a fully laden Lunar Delta is 440mm.

This is at odds with the 350mm to 420mm range that is often stated.

My Witter towbar has two positions for the towball and I have it attached to the lower setting. However the van has a nose-down attitude when attached, so I'm off out with a tape measure tomorrow. My nose weight is generally 80-90kg.

GodivaNige replied on 08/10/2017 21:27

Posted on 08/10/2017 20:48 by CBRBlackbird

Whilst looking for something else, I have spotted in the Lunar handbook that the ball hitch height for a fully laden Lunar Delta is 440mm.

This is at odds with the 350mm to 420mm range that is often stated.

My Witter towbar has two positions for the towball and I have it attached to the lower setting. However the van has a nose-down attitude when attached, so I'm off out with a tape measure tomorrow. My nose weight is generally 80-90kg.

Posted on 08/10/2017 21:27

If the difference is anything like I’ve experienced, raising the tow ball height to lift the nose of your twin axle so that it tows level, makes a big difference. With your multi height towbar, you at least have the chance to try it, has to be worth a go.

lornalou1 replied on 08/10/2017 22:21

Posted on 08/10/2017 21:27 by GodivaNige

If the difference is anything like I’ve experienced, raising the tow ball height to lift the nose of your twin axle so that it tows level, makes a big difference. With your multi height towbar, you at least have the chance to try it, has to be worth a go.

Posted on 08/10/2017 22:21

thats true. my delta handbook states the same 440mm/1' 5". I think the best way to get van level would be set it up on level hard ground loaded as it would be towed and then measure the hitch and stick to that measurement. hopefully your tow ball will be either at correct height or just under. but that would be to easy and perfect world. plus you would have to load the car the same every time to keep the suspension and the tow ball the same height. how many caravaners weight the nose for the homeward journey. less gas/food/liquids including wine and beer. makes you think!!!!!! 

trecker404 replied on 20/10/2023 00:36

Posted on 20/10/2023 00:36

Old post but thought I'd jump in and see it can be resurrected.

My understanding (especially for twin axles):

Nose weight must be measured at the hight the tow hitch will be when hitched up and this won't necessarily mean the caravan is level.

The caravan should be on hard level ground.

The wheels should be chocked.

What I'm not sure about is should the handbrake be ON or OFF - I believe the way the caravan moves on the suspension and hence the nose weight can vary depending if the handbrake is on or off.

All opinion/comment welcome.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook