E & P levelling system for Caravans

DSB replied on 12/03/2024 11:54

Posted on 12/03/2024 11:54

Just wondered if anyone has this fitted to their caravan and has any thoughts about it....?

Apart from the (eye-watering cost), my main concerns would be...

1.  What would happen in case of a complete battery fail?  Would there be a means of reverting to manually winding the corner steadies (and central levelling) up and down....  and

2.  I understand that the corner steadies are replaced, but are still attatached to the wooden floor of the caravan at the front.  Although they 'reinforce' where the corner steadies are installed, would this still put pressure/stress on the floor.

Just thinking about it at the moment, but would welcome any advice....

Should we decide to go ahead, I would be open for donations...  🀣🀣🀣

David

DSB replied on 13/03/2024 08:35

Posted on 12/03/2024 17:51 by Freedom a whitebox

David, I think that the hand pump is only there to raise the system in an emergency to get you moving. There would be no way to regulate the levelling.

john 

my system was fitted in January 2015 and is used for for many trips during the year without ever needing to hand pump.

Posted on 13/03/2024 08:35

Thanks John.  I think I read that in an emergency, you may be able to connect the EHU lead to the site electrics, or even hook up to the car, to get the system working.  I may be overthinking this at the moment!!  🀣

David

Freedom a whitebox replied on 13/03/2024 11:04

Posted on 13/03/2024 11:04

It’s only the extra weight of the two middle rams and the control box as the corner steadies are replaced with similar. On a plus side, there’s a weight saving by leaving the jack at home.

DSB replied on 13/03/2024 11:22

Posted on 13/03/2024 10:32 by NutsyH

What about the weight?

Posted on 13/03/2024 11:22

It work out at about 25kg.... With the 'weight upgrade', which we had wben we bkught tge van last year,   I've factored that in after our recent weighbridge visit..  πŸ‘πŸ‘

David

richardandros replied on 13/03/2024 11:49

Posted on 12/03/2024 12:59 by Tinwheeler

I think Richardandros has the E&P system. No doubt he’ll be along at some point.

Posted on 13/03/2024 11:49

Here I am!!

I have to say, David, that the E&P system is probably the best accessory I have bought - alongside a motor mover and I wouldn't be without it - especially with a TA Van. My 'excuse' for shelling out all that cash was that after my by-pass Op on my leg, I wasn't supposed to kneel down for protracted periods and, indeed, I find it uncomfortable when I do. However, that doesn't stop me from pegging out the awning - but I'm very careful how I do itsmile.

So - as you can detect - the main advantage for me is not the levelling per se - but the ease with which one can fit the twin Alko locks.  It's just so quick and easy.  I can have the van levelled and locks fitted within 5 minutes and all done sitting on the caravan step.

I used to use L 'n L - but that meant scrabbling about on the floor to position the air bag - now I don't have to.

In terms of cost and your concern about possibly placing strain on the caravan floor via the steadies (even though Alko who now own E&P say that this does not happen) - have you considered going for the "Compact" system - as I have - which just does the side to side levelling? You get all the main advantages of the levelling system (such as being able to easily change a wheel) at the cost of having to use the jockey wheel to level fore and aft and then a drill to wind down the steadies - which is no real hardship.

Prices have gone up a bit since I had mine fitted - but I paid about £2000 for the Compact system as opposed to over £3000 for the full system.

Like Freedom - mine's been fitted for over 4 years and hasn't missed a beat. When mine was fitted - they started including a manual button to retract the rams in an emergency although the hand pump is still available as an extra if required.  I'm guessing that the emergency switch wouldn't work with a complete battery failure - but I'm not sure.  The installer would soon explain and if it doesn't, you could have the hand pump fitted for peace of mind. You've got to ask the question - how likely is a complete battery failure?

Freedom is incorrect in one sense that you can't regulate the levelling - but not with the hand pump.  There is a section in the handbook which describes how to calibrate the system (i.e. set it up initially to be level) but it says that this will have been done by the installer and therefore I bet most people don't read it.  By using a sequence of presses on various buttons, it is possible to adjust what is considered to be 'level'.  I've done this on mine and have a very slight bias laterally and longitudinally to aid shower drainage.

When levelling fore and aft - you don't have to resort to a spirit level - the system gives an audible beep when the correct position has been achieved with the jockey wheel and there is also a visual indicator on the handset.

There is one little niggle with the Compact system.  As a safety feature, it won't let you retract the rams with the steadies still deployed and therefore you have to adjust the jockey wheel (once you have would the steadies up) to let it know that they are up.  I struggled to get this to work and got very frustrated with it to the extent I took the van back to SAP in Doncaster to get them to sort it out.  They agreed it was very hit and miss and it also depends on what van you have.  With ours having a long A-frame, it made things more difficult for the system to understand.

Instead - and again detailed in the handbook, there is a way to over-ride this (as if the van is still attached to the car) and it works every time and that's what I now do - but you DO have to make sure the steadies are UP!!

Sorry if I have rambled on a bit - but you now have the benefit of my experience over the last four and a half years.  Although health issues supposedly drove me down that path (wink), I wouldn't be without it - I think it's a brilliant system.

Just think - the cost of the Compact system is about the same as you could spend on a half-decent awning, these dayssmile

Richard

DSB replied on 13/03/2024 12:35

Posted on 13/03/2024 11:49 by richardandros

Here I am!!

I have to say, David, that the E&P system is probably the best accessory I have bought - alongside a motor mover and I wouldn't be without it - especially with a TA Van. My 'excuse' for shelling out all that cash was that after my by-pass Op on my leg, I wasn't supposed to kneel down for protracted periods and, indeed, I find it uncomfortable when I do. However, that doesn't stop me from pegging out the awning - but I'm very careful how I do itsmile.

So - as you can detect - the main advantage for me is not the levelling per se - but the ease with which one can fit the twin Alko locks.  It's just so quick and easy.  I can have the van levelled and locks fitted within 5 minutes and all done sitting on the caravan step.

I used to use L 'n L - but that meant scrabbling about on the floor to position the air bag - now I don't have to.

In terms of cost and your concern about possibly placing strain on the caravan floor via the steadies (even though Alko who now own E&P say that this does not happen) - have you considered going for the "Compact" system - as I have - which just does the side to side levelling? You get all the main advantages of the levelling system (such as being able to easily change a wheel) at the cost of having to use the jockey wheel to level fore and aft and then a drill to wind down the steadies - which is no real hardship.

Prices have gone up a bit since I had mine fitted - but I paid about Β£2000 for the Compact system as opposed to over Β£3000 for the full system.

Like Freedom - mine's been fitted for over 4 years and hasn't missed a beat. When mine was fitted - they started including a manual button to retract the rams in an emergency although the hand pump is still available as an extra if required.  I'm guessing that the emergency switch wouldn't work with a complete battery failure - but I'm not sure.  The installer would soon explain and if it doesn't, you could have the hand pump fitted for peace of mind. You've got to ask the question - how likely is a complete battery failure?

Freedom is incorrect in one sense that you can't regulate the levelling - but not with the hand pump.  There is a section in the handbook which describes how to calibrate the system (i.e. set it up initially to be level) but it says that this will have been done by the installer and therefore I bet most people don't read it.  By using a sequence of presses on various buttons, it is possible to adjust what is considered to be 'level'.  I've done this on mine and have a very slight bias laterally and longitudinally to aid shower drainage.

When levelling fore and aft - you don't have to resort to a spirit level - the system gives an audible beep when the correct position has been achieved with the jockey wheel and there is also a visual indicator on the handset.

There is one little niggle with the Compact system.  As a safety feature, it won't let you retract the rams with the steadies still deployed and therefore you have to adjust the jockey wheel (once you have would the steadies up) to let it know that they are up.  I struggled to get this to work and got very frustrated with it to the extent I took the van back to SAP in Doncaster to get them to sort it out.  They agreed it was very hit and miss and it also depends on what van you have.  With ours having a long A-frame, it made things more difficult for the system to understand.

Instead - and again detailed in the handbook, there is a way to over-ride this (as if the van is still attached to the car) and it works every time and that's what I now do - but you DO have to make sure the steadies are UP!!

Sorry if I have rambled on a bit - but you now have the benefit of my experience over the last four and a half years.  Although health issues supposedly drove me down that path (wink), I wouldn't be without it - I think it's a brilliant system.

Just think - the cost of the Compact system is about the same as you could spend on a half-decent awning, these dayssmile

Richard

Posted on 13/03/2024 12:35

Thanks Richard.  That's really useful...  I know what you mean about kneeling.....  with 2 knee replacements (and two shoulders!!), anything to make life a bit easier.... πŸ‘πŸ‘

David

Freedom a whitebox replied on 13/03/2024 18:31

Posted on 13/03/2024 18:31

Freedom is incorrect in one sense that you can't regulate the levelling - but not with the hand pump. There is a section in the handbook which describes how to calibrate the system (i.e. set it up initially to be level) but it says that this will have been done by the installer and therefore I bet most people don't read it. By using a sequence of presses on various buttons, it is possible to adjust what is considered to be 'level'. I've done this on mine and have a very slight bias laterally and longitudinally to aid shower drainage.

I was referring to when using the hand pump. It’s there for the retraction of the rams and steadies.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook