Floor insulation

welsh david replied on 13/04/2024 09:28

Posted on 13/04/2024 09:28

I have a 2006 Bailey Ranger 460/2 with a factory supplied carpet. The floor is still cold to my feet, is there any thin but effective insulation that I could put under the carpet?  Anyone any ideas.

richardandros replied on 15/04/2024 15:23

Posted on 15/04/2024 14:14 by Rufs

"We're spoilt, though - having underfloor heating in the area we walk on"

and that is why i cant afford a new caravan or a reasonably good 2nd hand one, too many bells and whistles which have pushed up the prices into the silly money bracket.

When we started out we lived in Scotland and ventured out hail snow or blow with just blown air heating, which went off overnight, and lots of thick socks, furry booties and a wooly hat to sleep in if things got really bad. Now i know why lots of sights including this club are installing metered EHU  yell , have to confess we are softies now and dont often venture out in the cold months unless it is to overthere, but we do treat ourselves now to a couple of hot water bottles laughing       

Posted on 15/04/2024 15:23

Rufs - when we bought our van - new - 5 years ago - it's 'headline' price was £37.5k - which, I agree, was expensive.  However, we got a significant discount which brought the price down to less than £30k, making it comparable, if not cheaper than most UK TA vans.  The underfloor heating actually operates on 24v through a transformer, and pulls less than 1 amp - so it's significantly cheaper to run on that than it is to use the Truma heating. In winter, we often turn the main heating off completely overnight and rely just on the u/f heating - so we're actually making a big saving on power usage.

richardandros replied on 16/04/2024 05:38

Posted on 16/04/2024 03:15 by Freedom a whitebox

V x A = W.

24 x 1 = 24W. 

24 watts doesn’t sound like a lot of heat output 

Posted on 16/04/2024 05:38

I can only say what the power meter I installed is telling me - and it seems reasonably accurate when other devices are switched on. Once the van is warmed up, it's enough to maintain sufficient heat to keep the chill off.

Freedom a whitebox replied on 16/04/2024 09:44

Posted on 16/04/2024 05:38 by richardandros

I can only say what the power meter I installed is telling me - and it seems reasonably accurate when other devices are switched on. Once the van is warmed up, it's enough to maintain sufficient heat to keep the chill off.

Posted on 16/04/2024 09:44

Sorry for the confusion. 

I take it that the 1amp reading is taken on the 230volt supply and not the 24volt. That would suggest that the heating element is around 230watts. 

Makes more sense now. So 4hours use would be around 1kwh

KjellNN replied on 16/04/2024 10:56

Posted on 14/04/2024 23:48 by DavidKlyne

Kj

I am basing my comments on vans we have owned going back beyond the age of the OP's van. All of our vans have had blown air heating and the vents exit at floor level which tends to keep the feet reasonably warm.

David

Posted on 16/04/2024 10:56

Not disagreeing there David, but we all feel the cold or heat differently, things can change as we age, and insulation levels do make a difference.

Some people will say they turn off heating when they go out, van will be warm again in half an hour, or that 1kw is sufficient to keep their van warm even in cold weather.  Neither of those apply if you have a pre 2009 UK built van, especially a larger one with Alde heating!  

Much as we love our older van, it would be great to have the better insulation of newer vans, and the floor can feel very cold at times.  

Best thing we find  for using indoors are Crocs or some slippers with thick soles.

commeyras replied on 16/04/2024 18:12

Posted on 16/04/2024 18:12

A none technical interjection!  On my 2009 Bailey there is not enough space to put any sort of insulation between the carpet and floor; you would not be able to open the cupboards!  Socks and/or fluffy slippers may be your only solution!

nelliethehooker replied on 28/04/2024 19:35

Posted on 13/04/2024 09:28 by welsh david

I have a 2006 Bailey Ranger 460/2 with a factory supplied carpet. The floor is still cold to my feet, is there any thin but effective insulation that I could put under the carpet?  Anyone any ideas.

Posted on 28/04/2024 19:35

welsh david, I have just discovered that Status Car Care do a floor covering which can be bought either 1.4 or 2 m wide and to a specified length which has good insulating properties. They do both a self adhesive one and one which is glued down supplied with the appropriate amount of glue.

https://shop.statuscarcare.com/product-category/automotive-marine-carpet/

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook