How to stay cool in a caravan

handsj replied on 14/06/2022 15:53

Posted on 14/06/2022 15:53

Does anyone have any tips? In the absence of aircon, we have to face the issue of keeping our 14 year old black labrador cool whilst we're away this summer. In the past she's always crept under the caravan to keep cool but we're not sure this will be sufficient at her advanced age now.

Can anyone recommend any portable coolers other than just using an electric fan please?

Cheers, Steve 

handsj replied on 15/06/2022 15:11

Posted on 15/06/2022 15:11

Thanks for all your replies. Will look into all your suggestions. Maddie (our Lab) really struggles with her arthritis but she's always loved coming away with us in our caravan so we really want to keep her as comfortable as possible.

Love the coolmat - nice colour too!

Takethedogalong replied on 16/06/2022 19:13

Posted on 16/06/2022 19:13

We have an elderly very arthritic Lab. He struggles now in the heat. The cool mats sound good, but if it’s super hot, we pour cool (not ice cold) water all over our Lab and this seems to help him in the day. He’s used to swimming in sea, rivers, etc… but wouldn’t entertain the blow up paddling pool we bought him, even if it had biscuits floating in it🤣 Overnight, we get as much of a breeze blowing through van as we can.

Our Airedales used to climb into cattle troughs out on a walk!😲

heddlo replied on 17/06/2022 13:27

Posted on 15/06/2022 14:12 by richardandros

Cool Mat in action today!cool

Posted on 17/06/2022 13:27

I saw your picture richardandros and thought that’s a great idea (never heard of them as we don’t have a dog).  Anyway, ordered one from Amazon to be delivered to our grandchildren’s dog in Hertfordshire as they were saying how hot it was.  Mat arrived, dog duly sat on it, then helpfully chewed the corner!!!!!! 🥴🤣🤦🏻‍♀️

richardandros replied on 18/06/2022 07:00

Posted on 17/06/2022 13:27 by heddlo

I saw your picture richardandros and thought that’s a great idea (never heard of them as we don’t have a dog).  Anyway, ordered one from Amazon to be delivered to our grandchildren’s dog in Hertfordshire as they were saying how hot it was.  Mat arrived, dog duly sat on it, then helpfully chewed the corner!!!!!! 🥴🤣🤦🏻‍♀️

Posted on 18/06/2022 07:00

Oh Dear!!  Sounds like said dog needs to be given a good talking tosurprised

replied on 18/06/2022 13:18

Posted on 18/06/2022 13:18

I know this is a bit different solution to the question asked, but a fair few years ago, when we had our black lab, I made her a coat that just fit down her back and a little bit up the back of her neck using the thick white cotton material that chefs wear. (I bought it from our local market, so didn’t cost much). Within seconds of putting it on her, her back was cool. As it folded down and was light, it fit in my pocket and was there for anytime we needed it, whilst out walking. I’m not great on a machine, so took me a bit of time to hand sew, but it worked wonders 👍

handsj replied on 28/06/2022 14:52

Posted on 28/06/2022 14:52

Thanks all, once again. We're pleased to say that Maddie is now the proud owner of a bright blue cool mat that should hopefully keep her from overheating through our summer breaks away in the (hopefully sunny but not too hot!) UK. She seems to be quite happy to stretch out and sleep on it, despite the pain of her arthritis.

cool

handsj replied on 13/07/2022 15:27

Posted on 13/07/2022 15:27

Our Coolmat is proving invaluable this week at the National Trust's CL at Stourhead. It works a treat, especially for Maddie, our elderly Black Labrador!

Thank you to RichardandRos for your suggestion.

richardandros replied on 13/07/2022 15:37

Posted on 13/07/2022 15:27 by handsj

Our Coolmat is proving invaluable this week at the National Trust's CL at Stourhead. It works a treat, especially for Maddie, our elderly Black Labrador!

Thank you to RichardandRos for your suggestion.

Posted on 13/07/2022 15:37

Oh good - I'm pleased I was able to help.  Ours is in the kitchen at the moment (with Meg on it!) and it will be coming away with us next week.

Don't forget - they don't last forever and tend to go flat after a year and lose their gel.  We will be getting another one before long but it's a miniscule price to pay to keep our best friends comfortable.cool

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook