Is our awning too big?

Bernie Suzy replied on 10/03/2024 08:22

Posted on 10/03/2024 08:22

We recently bought a new, bigger all weather Dorema Garda 240 size 16 for our seasonally pitched touring caravan.

we had been told at a caravan show we needed size 15 but the caravan shop we bought it from said we needed a 16 based on the size of our caravan- a Elddis 550.

however after 7 (and that isn’t an exaggeration) hours of trying to put it up yesterday my husband and I really struggled to get it anywhere near taut despite using the extra storm straps.

we have ended up with about 5cm of awning cord stuck out at the end on either side (and almost a divorce 😂)… can that be right?

have we done something wrong or have we been sold the wrong size awning?

would really welcome any advice (especially if it doesn’t involve taking it all down and starting again! 🙈)

thank you 

peedee replied on 10/03/2024 10:20

Posted on 10/03/2024 10:20

we have ended up with about 5cm of awning cord stuck out at the end on either side (and almost a divorce 😂)… can that be right?

I presume you mean at either end of the awning rail? That is not a lot to tightly peg it to the ground! Storm straps should not be necessary to pull an awning tight and would not normal do so, at least  they wouldn't when I had one.

The only thing I can suggest is measure your awning rail length from ground to ground by feeding a piece of string through your rail and compare the resultant measurement with the awning cord length.

Finally if you were not on level ground, it can be quite hard to make it a neat job.

peedee

RedKite replied on 10/03/2024 10:53

Posted on 10/03/2024 10:53

Have you checked your caravan manual as ours tells us the awning size required, hopefully you can get it sorted and as Peedee said if on uneven ground it can be a bit more difficult to get it sorted.

commeyras replied on 10/03/2024 14:55

Posted on 10/03/2024 14:55

Many, many years ago we had the reverse problem to yours!  We purchased a new awning and the dealer supplied us one to fit our little Fleetwood Colchester.  The awning was too small!  We were new to caravanning then so some helpful folks came along and measured as Peedee suggested, proving that the awning was too small.  We contacted the supplier who accepted that they had sent the wrong size and Couriered down the correct sized awning which arrived on site the next morning.  So message is  IF supplier has sent wrong size get them to exchange it.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook