Large 390 porch awning on a 2 birth caravan?

Alaska85 replied on 25/09/2023 13:27

Posted on 25/09/2023 13:27

Hi all, I'm looking at inflatable porch awnings either 260 or 390 for my 2 birth abbey cardinal 315 2004. I understand the length at the top needs to be a straight edge for the awning but the top starts to curve immediately after the door. The whole length of the caravan top is 400 before it starts to "properly" slope. It's straight ish... I'm not a perfectionist or anything and can live with it not absolutely dead on as long as it works as an awning should. I can't find any other awnings to suit that give me a tent add on. Anyone have similar experience using a large porch awning on a smaller 2 birth? 

Tinwheeler replied on 25/09/2023 13:57

Posted on 25/09/2023 13:57

These are porch awnings and, as such, not meant to fit end to end of the caravan. My feeling is that you will have a slack fit if you use the 390 awning on a curve which could allow it to flap about in the wind and be vulnerable to damage as there would be insufficient tension on the end walls. The 260 could be a better bet but you might find its side uprights cut across windows. I’m not sure what you mean by "tent add on" as, to my mind, that’s what all awnings are. Have you considered a full awning designed to fit the size of your caravan as it would be a more precise fit? You can often pick up used bargains.

Alaska85 replied on 25/09/2023 14:10

Posted on 25/09/2023 14:10

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply Tim. It seems my father in law is right (again!) Haha. I meant an annexe to the awning which had an inner tent as I'll be sleeping in there long term. The awnings don't have that additional area I think. Ours is a size 10 for the full awning. I think I will see about a second hand inflatable version. Thanks again!

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook