Mattress topper for the front double beds

newtocaravaning19 replied on 27/07/2020 22:33

Posted on 27/07/2020 22:33

Hi, 

new to Touring and just got a new Caravan at the weekend. Took it away this weekend and loved it, but have found that the front seats when converted to a double bed wasn’t the comfiest! 

any advice on which would be the best addition to help, should I get a memory foam topper to put on it? If so, which has worked best for you? Also, I need something that I can pack away fairly easily each morning! 

any help/advice based on your experience would be great! 

cheers! 

ocsid replied on 28/07/2020 07:00

Posted on 28/07/2020 07:00

We had our topper made to measure by Southern Foam, a maker that provides many of the brands of toppers sold, their own brands and others, plus hotels etc. So right to the source and very competitively priced because of that..

https://www.southernfoam.co.uk/

https://www.thesleepadvisors.co.uk/memory-foam-mattress-topper-southern-foam/

However, your problem is going to be where do you store it when not in use. Realistically, you will have to consider two pieces and rolling them up to go in stuff bags for placing in bed lockers. But they are bulky items if of enough substance to be worth getting, though ours certainly is very comfortable. We choose a medium density foam at the medium thickness, about 50 mm ish. We visited there to physically try and assess their wide range.

KjellNN replied on 28/07/2020 10:49

Posted on 28/07/2020 10:49

How are you arranging the cushions?
  We turned ours over so the hard buttons were underneath, put the knee rolls at the wall edge, and instead of a bottom sheet we used a suitable size duvet in a cover, which gave additional padding but still rolled up small.

Takethedogalong replied on 28/07/2020 11:03

Posted on 28/07/2020 11:03

You need to play about with the cushions, find out which is comfiest way of arranging them, and as Kjell says, it can be better to turn them over. Having said this, we have always used a mattress topper. A double, cut in half, a double duvet cover cut and sewn to put halves in. This means we can store the two pieces easier rolled up, and more importantly can still use a mattress topper even if we choose to use single beds for quickness on a one night stay. Dunelm is your friend here, they sell decent priced toppers and bedding.

replied on 28/07/2020 11:29

Posted on 28/07/2020 11:29

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

KjellNN replied on 31/07/2020 22:09

Posted on 31/07/2020 22:09

Yes, we found the single duvet cover, with a single washable duvet inside, was just the right size for our made up front double.

We now have a fixed double "french bed" , it is a bit of a wrestle to get a sheet on, but we use a stretchy sheet which fits quite well.  At the cut off corner, we just tuck any excess underneath.

Cavalier Caravaners replied on 07/08/2020 11:46

Posted on 07/08/2020 11:46

We used front beds as double bed in our last caravan for 4 years and the next one. The first caravan cushions were quite firm when you laid them out fat (knee rests side away from the sleeper). We bought 2 single duvalay matress toppers put them on top of the caravan cushions and then our bedding. It works really well. Also works great with the new caravan (where the seating lad out flat is a bit softer). highly recommend duvaly andwqe went for the basic thickness not GOLD which is thicker, heavier and more expensive, the basic ones were fabulous.

BigPoppa11 replied on 27/01/2021 15:54

Posted on 27/01/2021 15:54

Not everyone gets on with memory foam toppers. A common complaint I see is that it gets too hot as it's not very breathable. With that said, I've never really had a problem with the one I had made. These are the foam suppliers I used. The staff were really helpul.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook