*New* towing calculations

SMiLEYSMiLE replied on 15/10/2022 14:10

Posted on 15/10/2022 14:10

Hi, I'm new to this site.

I currently have a Renault Kadjar 1.6 Diesel. 130bhp.

It has a tow bar.

It's a 2016 model, well looked after.

We are currently in a climate of uncertainty ref cost of living etc

Also, the uncertainty of what car to own especially for towing.

Nobody knows the future. Combustion engines will no longer be manufactured in UK from 2030. 

So what will ownership of petrol/Diesel be like nearer that date and post that date? Higher fuel prices and taxes to get us to go electric?

My wish is to eventually buy a new or very newish 4 berth caravan to tour Europe. 

I'm indecisive of what tow car I should have because of uncertainty of what I've stated above.

I love the Peugeot 2008 GT petrol 2022 model. 133bhp.

I also love the VW T6 Kombi 150bhp which is ideally what I want. This would cost me around late 20 to 30k for late 2016 model. But this is Diesel. What will long term reassurances be?

The caravan I like is Elddis 554 with island bed. New? £23k? 

My overall question is, if the Peugeot can't tow above caravan then it's not worth buying it. Will my Renault tow the above caravan?

What site can give me the easiest of calculations? Much appreciated. 

allanandjean replied on 20/11/2022 08:51

Posted on 20/11/2022 07:40 by cyberyacht

Fields of solar? Trouble is, were can't eat electricity.

Posted on 20/11/2022 08:51

Fields Of Solar-is that a new Sting record?!!

As an aside, I have recently visited a number of solar farms and all the staff that I worked with were quite clear about the reason people invested in solar farms-it was to make money, not because they had “green” aspirations.

They speculated that now the return has diminished, so will the levels of investment, especially as they are currently often unable to profit from improved panel performance due to National Grid restrictions.

watto64 replied on 20/11/2022 18:03

Posted on 20/11/2022 08:51 by allanandjean

Fields Of Solar-is that a new Sting record?!!

As an aside, I have recently visited a number of solar farms and all the staff that I worked with were quite clear about the reason people invested in solar farms-it was to make money, not because they had “green” aspirations.

They speculated that now the return has diminished, so will the levels of investment, especially as they are currently often unable to profit from improved panel performance due to National Grid restrictions.

Posted on 20/11/2022 18:03

i looked back and definately wrote 'panels'..

ChocolateTrees replied on 21/11/2022 11:08

Posted on 17/11/2022 17:48 by dave the rave

my own advice would be to stop taking notice of journalists!All this electric vehicle rubbish is pie in the sky!Electric vehicles will never replace a vehicle that is running on an internal combustion engine whatever fuel is used!Maybe one day people will wake up to the fact that electric cars are heavier and therefor use more tyre rubber,batteries have a finite life and will need "recycling" or buried to contaminate the ground.

Posted on 21/11/2022 11:08

So much prejudice and disinformation in one post! Amazing!

My EV has fully replaced my ICE car. Point one disproven. 

My EV has over 20K miles on the 1st set of tyres, and is still about 30% tread left. Thats about 2K more miles than my ICE got (18K out of last set). Point 2 disproven. 

"Recycling" or more generally recycling (without the quotes) is entirely possible and already undertaken. The alternative - burn fuel and contaminate the atmosphere. 

Otherwise, your point is valid. 

ChocolateTrees replied on 21/11/2022 11:15

Posted on 19/11/2022 22:25 by watto64

and dont forget all the extra power stations, wind farms and fields full of solar panels that will be needed when weve all gone BEV. 

Posted on 21/11/2022 11:15

There is already sufficient generation to cover charging electric vehicles. Perhaps you are confusing the possible lack of power at peak times (caused by cooking, kettles, heating, showers and so on) with the the use of cheap spare overnight capacity? 

Take a look at the national grids own web site here on EV myth busting.

watto64 replied on 21/11/2022 11:30

Posted on 21/11/2022 11:15 by ChocolateTrees

There is already sufficient generation to cover charging electric vehicles. Perhaps you are confusing the possible lack of power at peak times (caused by cooking, kettles, heating, showers and so on) with the the use of cheap spare overnight capacity? 

Take a look at the national grids own web site here on EV myth busting.

Posted on 21/11/2022 11:30

ChocT,

Your defense of the BEV is admirable and real world experience is geat feedback.

With regard to there being sufficient generation, i was thinking of the future unknown state not the current situation. I will indeed check out the link you provided.

cheers for now

Cawsey replied on 21/11/2022 13:08

Posted on 21/11/2022 13:08

I am sure that EV's will replace ICE vehicles eventually . By using a combination of battery and Hydrogen . Hydrogen power cell to charge the battery ,or to run the car cruising .That combination will effectively solve the problem of refueling. The beauty of the EV is that you can instant torque like a steam engine ,unlike an ICE which needs a gearbox to overcome that problem .ICE  driver for many years yet .

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook