Sky light replacement

Blakeys7 replied on 22/11/2020 13:42

Posted on 22/11/2020 13:42

Hello. I was looking how dirty my skylights are and was thinking about removing them to give them a good clean.

When I opened one of them, a hairline crack appeared luckily on the inner piece and not the outer so still watertight.

On closure inspection, the plastic seems to be quite brittle and discoloured. Probably due to the age of the van. 2012.

In your expert opinions,  would it be best just to replace the two skylights as I have seen them in the cc shop and they go for about 70.

It looks like there is only 4 screws to remove/fit, so is it a relatively easy job ?

I don't want to be left with a hole in the top of my van 😂

Thanks in advance

Blakey

Tinwheeler replied on 22/11/2020 14:14

Posted on 22/11/2020 14:14

I’d say replace it before you end up losing it on the M5 as we did.

It's a straightforward job and you can buy them in any caravan accessory shop - when they're open.

KjellNN replied on 22/11/2020 14:54

Posted on 22/11/2020 14:54

If you are only replacing the opening bit, ensure it will have an identical roof fitting and securing system.   And do shop around before buying, prices can vary greatly.

Blakeys7 replied on 22/11/2020 15:29

Posted on 22/11/2020 14:54 by KjellNN

If you are only replacing the opening bit, ensure it will have an identical roof fitting and securing system.   And do shop around before buying, prices can vary greatly.

Posted on 22/11/2020 15:29

I will look to see if there is a brand name or some sort of identification.

The van is a Swift challenger sport 554

Blakeys7 replied on 26/02/2021 09:56

Posted on 26/02/2021 09:56

I have been told that you can only buy a complete unit and not just the dome ?

Does anyone know any different and could point me in the right direction with links if possible.

I have been quoted £90 for each unit.

However it is only the dome I want to replace.

Otherwise I think I will attempt a clean :)

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook