Thetford fridge

garyvw replied on 06/01/2024 15:30

Posted on 06/01/2024 15:30

Hello

Looking for some advice my thetford fridge is making a electrical clicking sound seems to be coming from the control box at bottom vent. It makes no difference what setting it's on gas electric or 12v as soon as it's turned on it starts clicking. The fridge is working ok on mains but still stays clicking. when set to gas it fires up then cuts out and doesn't work on 12v either the fridge/freezer is on a 2011 motorhome and has auto setting.the control box has a part number 626908

Thanks

Tinwheeler replied on 06/01/2024 15:44

Posted on 06/01/2024 15:44

It sounds as if the gas igniter is clicking, perhaps.🤷🏻‍♂️ That’s where I would start looking.

How do you know the fridge isn’t working on 12v? It will only be powered by 12v when your engine is running and the controls are set appropriately. 12v will not work as efficiently as 240v by any means.

garyvw replied on 06/01/2024 18:53

Posted on 06/01/2024 18:53

Hi

It's definitely a electrical clicking/buzzing sort of sound. When I start the engine and  switch the controller to 12v the blue light on the fridge just flashes so I know it's not working 

Tinwheeler replied on 06/01/2024 19:13

Posted on 06/01/2024 19:13

Right. Perhaps it might be best to get a mobile technician to look at it as it’s near impossible to diagnose remotely. 

Incidentally, you’ve posted in the caravan section so I expect a mod will move your thread into Motorhomes or Parts & Accessories at some point.

Takethedogalong replied on 07/01/2024 12:31

Posted on 07/01/2024 12:31

Sounds similar to a problem we had not long ago. Igniting, but then going out. Ours was a sooted up burner, the carbon glowed, but it had burnt through the rubber on the thermo coupling. OH accessed fridge via exterior vent, cleaned things up, replaced, but ours was too far gone, so bought new thermo coupling and fitted this, and all now fine.

Fiddly, but doable, otherwise it’s a job for service engineer. Our fridge is only a very small under counter one, not a full size or floor to ceiling fridge/freezer, in a 2001 AS.

Good luck with it.

Edit, ours was definite a gas problem. It worked fine on hook up.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook