Towing with Petrol engine

Peteb51 replied on 10/01/2024 13:00

Posted on 10/01/2024 13:00

My VW Passat 2.0 TDI is coming to the end of its life and it's time to change. My next car will prob be my last and as I'm now in my 73rd year it will be in service for hopefully 10yrs+.

The quandary is, do I risk a diesel as given the current political climate it could be unsaleable in a few short years.

If I go petrol the favourite is the Audi A4 2ltr TFSI 35 prob 2021 reg 150PS & 199ftlbs torque. (the clubs match your outfit website says it is suitable for my van)

Has anyone towed with a late model petrol A4? and what is the general opinion of the short term  future on diesels?

NB an EV is a none starter for me.

eribaMotters replied on 10/01/2024 15:04

Posted on 10/01/2024 15:04

I swapped from a 2.0L Diesel Yeti in 2019 to a Petrol  Audi A3. It has the 35tfsi engine that you mention, with a manual gearbox. The auto box is supposed to be a better match. The 35tfsi is a 1.5L and not 2.0L engine.

The engine is an absolute joy and exceeds my expectations. I was was initially concerned if the swap from diesel to petrol was a good idea, but the engine has out performed my diesel in pulling ability due to the torque being across a far wider rev range. With 35,000 on the clock it is now proving more economical than the diesel Yeti and before that the Touran it replaced.

My current van is a lightweight pop-top Eriba running at about 1350kg. The engine easily copes with pulling the van and returns from 30-36mpg when doing so. 

My previous van was a smaller Eriba pop top of 1200kg and with this I typically saw 34-40mpg when towing.

My typical mileage is about 7-8,000 a year of which half will be towing.

With lighter weight caravans a petrol is a good choice, especially if your mileage is low.

Colin

Peteb51 replied on 10/01/2024 17:23

Posted on 10/01/2024 17:23

Thank you for your reply Colin. Audi engine specs can be a little confusing. In the A3 the TFSI 35 is indeed a 1.5. In the A4 the same TFSI 35 designation is a 2ltr. (They both produce the same power & torque)

Your experience indicate that petrol could be a viable option for Lunar Lexon SI

Cheers

Peter

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook