Unexpected windfall!

Pippah45 replied on 07/06/2022 14:24

Posted on 07/06/2022 14:24

I have had an unexpected windfall today and am considering trading in my troublesome Swift Conqueror 480 2 berth with end bathroom - for something similar - I don't feel I ever want to darken Swift's door again after this van!  I have thought of the fixed bed option but can't really justify the size as a solo caravanner - any suggestions would be welcome.  I might also be interested in push button corner steadies to make life even easier.  76 years of towing must be fairly near the end of my hobby but it would be nice to go out with style!  

brue replied on 08/06/2022 08:38

Posted on 08/06/2022 08:38

Congratulations on your windfall Pippa and all those years of caravanning. I'm not sure I can suggest anything except maybe a well built  Eriba with a fixed bed and seating area. We often wish we'd paid for an automatic levelling system for our M/H, is their a similar thing for caravans? Or you could opt for the comfort of a few nice hotel or holiday rental breaks?! smile

Pippah45 replied on 08/06/2022 19:04

Posted on 08/06/2022 19:04

Thanks Brue - I hadn't thought of Eriba.  I went to look at some today and have some possibilities.  Base Camp are interesting.  

My dogs - are probably the main reason I camp but the whole caravan thing suits me.  A friend of mine is in Scotland with her car and hotels this week and several times I have said to her "that's why I caravan"!  I think she is thinking of a Moho.  Yes there is self levelling for a caravan - not cheap of course and extra weight to worry about.  Plus one or two cheaper options that I could consider.  I will almost certainly go for a Motor Mover that can be switched on by the press of a button - rather than the lever thingy - I have learnt to see which way the caravan is leaning before trying to engage the mover.  The uphill side is generally easier!  I thought the current caravan was going to be my last but there have been so many glitches I don't trust it not to let me down.  So far waiting three weeks for the whole LED rear light cluster on the caravan - no right indicator!  So will the left unit go too?  Trust issues definitely!  

DSB replied on 08/06/2022 21:25

Posted on 08/06/2022 21:25

Hope all works out well Pippah....  Look forward to reading what you end up with.  Congrats on the 'windfall.  If you have an automatic levelling system don't forget the extra weight which will eat into your user payload.  I'd be going for a 'van with a generous user payload - so many vans these day have a relatively small weight allowance.

David

eribaMotters replied on 08/06/2022 21:35

Posted on 08/06/2022 21:35

I've owned Pop-top Eriba Touring since 2003. They are excellent vans but have had some build quality issues since manufacture was moved to Germany back in 2011. Most owners find they need to "fettle" them over the first year and then all us well. The main issue is the use of lightweight plywood for the cabinet work that does not hold hinge screws well.

I am looking at replacement in a year or so and would give serious consideration to the other Pop-top they sell, the Feeling. Build quality on this seems to be first class. Unfortunately the only UK dealer who is prepared to supply one is Red Lion in Southport on Merseyside. The good news is although around the £25K Mark they are about £5K cheaper, spec for spec against the Touring. You can also have a payload of 400/500kg.

Colin

Pippah45 replied on 09/06/2022 16:49

Posted on 09/06/2022 16:49

Thank you David and Colin - I went to Romahome over the bridge today and have probably made my choice.  The Eriba was very nice but for a solo caravanner the huge bed is wasted space on me.  Bed length is another thing with the two berth ones - several of them were only 6' which only gives me 2 inches to stretch!  I think it's the Bailey Discovery although some measuring needs doing.  I spend a fair amount of time at my Daughter's place in Devon and anything longer than my Conqueror is going to be a problem.  I could only just and I mean only just squeeze out of her gates and up the road without the tail hitting the gate.  So anything bigger would have to be motor moved and hitched on the road.  I moved a bit of the opposite bank each time I drove out of her place!  

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook