Advice please on selling a MOT failed Motorhome

meadow3 replied on 25/08/2019 16:06

Posted on 25/08/2019 16:06

Our Motorhome has failed its MOT due to corrosion under the cab but the interior, engine, brakes etc are in good working order. Please can anyone give advice on selling unrepaired?

DavidKlyne replied on 26/08/2019 22:57

Posted on 26/08/2019 22:57

Have you been to a commercial vehicle dealer for the brand of the cab involved? Perhaps it is a question structural replacement rather than welding. You obviously have to balance the cost of expensive repairs and what little you would get for it has a MOT reject with lots of work to do. Is it 16 years old or is that how long you have had it?

David

beero replied on 26/08/2019 23:14

Posted on 26/08/2019 10:02 by Bakers2

Out of interest and as I  may have to do similar in the not too distant future can I ask are folks bidding after viewing? What are you/have you done regarding payment?

Posted on 26/08/2019 23:14

I have 6 people bidding and not one of them has been to view it yet. Crazy. I will let you know how it goes at the end of the auction on Friday. By bidding they are entering a contract to buy but we shall see.

replied on 27/08/2019 06:31

Posted on 26/08/2019 23:14 by beero

I have 6 people bidding and not one of them has been to view it yet. Crazy. I will let you know how it goes at the end of the auction on Friday. By bidding they are entering a contract to buy but we shall see.

Posted on 27/08/2019 06:31

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 27/08/2019 07:05

Posted on 27/08/2019 06:31 by

When the time comes for payment do beware of the PayPal scam.  

Posted on 27/08/2019 07:05

Which one DD?, there have been a fewπŸ˜•. With caution all can be swerved mindπŸ‘πŸ»

Bakers2 replied on 27/08/2019 09:05

Posted on 27/08/2019 09:05

I suspected this. Chap at work sold his on eBay years ago. Got more than he paid, don't think there was problem like yours, never thought to ask him at the time if it was viewed.

Seems bizarre to me to offer large sum of money for something unseen. I'd expect viewings if genuine so its good to discuss.

Do keep us posted - details of how payment is sorted too. 

[Deleted User User] how can scams be avoided??

I'm hanging fire as I really miss motorhoming but not sure about driving ours - it's tall but only 21 feet long wider than the car πŸ˜‰. But old school driving, he's 17 years old, no bells and whistles like our new car. They drove me mad to begin with but I love them now! As I'm getting on top of things I'm wondering if I can do 'lessons' with trailer/driving instructors to get my confidence. It's stored and paid for until end of May next year, no refunds, and off road at mo. I do give it a turn or 2 around our huge storage compound, but parking can't be fraught if OH watches πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

Mr OrangeTree replied on 02/09/2019 14:52

Posted on 02/09/2019 14:52

Our 15 year old Peugoet based Nuevo sadly failed the MOT - also due to much rust - at the end of last year.

As is so often the case, it was just the van bit that was a problem, the living bit was still very nice.

We discovered, on the local jungle drums, a business that buys and fixes such stricken vans.  I admit I was pleasantly surprised at the price offered, even given the rust problem.

I decided to let them buy it and get a new van.   

Bakers2 replied on 02/09/2019 19:41

Posted on 02/09/2019 19:41

We have good body, 17 years, but water coming in, thought reseal had fixed but sadly still a dribble 😀.  Due to OH health and I don't want to drive it. I see you're a long way from us! Is it one of the companies that advertise in the club magazine?

Is there any way you can get a rough idea of what to expect, equivalent of Glasses for card?

beero replied on 12/09/2019 22:29

Posted on 12/09/2019 22:29

All went well. How people can part with that much money without viewing first beats me. Got a bank transfer in the morning and the guy picked it up lunchtime. No problems. 

So this will be my last post as I have now cancelled membership. Cheerio everyone!! 

Bakers2 replied on 14/09/2019 16:36

Posted on 14/09/2019 16:36

Thank you for posting back. I too am really surprised that it wasn't viewed, but delighted it all went smoothly.

Definitely food for thought and probably worth a try before taking up one of the advertisers in the magazines.

No decision made yet, I'll probably kick the can further down the road until the storage expires and just insure ours again.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook